Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Sedgwick
Burrton | Halstead | Hesston | Newton | North Newton | Sedgwick | Walton
In 1869, a group of settlers formed the Sedgwick Town Company, and the company laid out the new town site in June 1870. It was the first city organized in what was to become Harvey County. The town was named for Maj. John M. Sedgwick of the U. S. Army.
A post office was established in the late summer of 1870. One of the first buildings in town was a schoolhouse built in September 1870. The town was incorporated on March 16, 1872, after the county was organized a few weeks earlier on February 29.
Sedgwick vied for the county seat, but Newton ended up with it, being as it was near the center of the county. Sedgwick is located at the southern most boundary line which borders Sedgwick County. Today most of the town is in Harvey County, but part of it is in Sedgwick County.
Smurr, Linda C. ed. Harvey County History. Texas: Curtis Media Corporation, 1990.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.