Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Seguin
Angelus | Hoxie | Kenneth | Seguin | Selden | Sheridan | Studley | Tasco
The town of Seguin started out as a work camp named Gerona in 1887. It was built by the Union Pacific Railroad on the Salina-Oakley branch line, and in 1888, a depot was built. The story goes that there was a foreman named Quinn, and when questions came up about work or where to get a drink, the response was "see Quinn". Eventually the settlement became known as "SeeQuinn", later changed to Seguin.
The name of Gerona Station was change to Seguin by the post office on March 18, 1889. A general store opened on April 10, 1890, and the post office records show that it opened the same day, so it is thought that the post office was in the store. However, the post office moved several times in the first 10 years of its existence. The first home was built in 1905. Businesses have included a creamery, a shoe shop and two elevators. The elevators have had the most economic impact on the town. By 1976, the population was 33, a decrease of 18 from the 1960's when the population was at its highest.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Hinger, Charlotte, ed. Sheridan County Kansas: A History of Faith and Labor. Hoxie, KS: Sheridan County Historical Society, 1985.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.