Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Sharon
Hardtner | Hazelton | Hebron | Isabel | Kiowa | Lake City | Medicine Lodge | Sharon | Sun City
Sharon was founded in April 1879 as a Christian Colony by Reverend A. H. Mulkey with fifty families that were members of the Christian Church. It was named after the fertile valley mentioned in the Bible. The town site was in the northeast part of the present city, then after the railroad was built in 1885, the town was moved to its present site in 1886-87. There was a grocery store, a restaurant and a livery stable in the old town site. A bank was established in 1893.
Country singer Martina McBride was raised on a farm outside of Sharon.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
Barber County History Committee. "The Chosen Land: A History of Barber County, Kansas."Dallas, TX: Taylor Publishing Company, 1980.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.