Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Sitka
Ashland | Englewood | Lexington | Sitka
R. B. Pratt, an early pioneer from Sitka, Alaska, settled in Day Creek Valley east of Ashland in 1884-1885. He named the area Sitka in January 1886.
The C. K. & W. railroad built tracks through Sitka in 1887 which made the town a major supply post for the area.
George Harvey bought the townsite in 1906-1907 and had it platted. By 1920, the town's population had reached 200, but the automobile and a railroad track built near Buffalo, Oklahoma, became the downfall for Sitka. The school closed in 1949 and the post office closed on May 22, 1964.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Ashland, Kansas: The Story of its First 100 Years". <Ashland, KS: Ashland History Book Committee, 1984>.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.