Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Spearville
Amish Village | Bellefont | Bloom | Bucklin | Dodge City | Ford | Howell | Kingsdown | Lasker | Mexican Village | Spearville
The town site of Spearville was named for Alden Speare, the president of the Santa Fe Land Company. It was platted in March 1873 and is located 16 miles east of Dodge City. By 1885, there was a lively business district consisting of supply stores, grocery stores, a bank and several other services.
Spearville was close to the German community of Windthorst and after a railroad venture to Windthorst failed, the Germans shopped and worked in Spearville.
Asa Soule, a New York millionaire, financed the Soule Canal which was to be an irrigation ditch that would provide water from the Arkansas River to Gray and Edwards Counties, as well as Ford County. Building for the canal began in 1884, and by 1887, as the construction came near Spearville it was starting to be a failure due to other projects upstream and the drought. By 1890, the Eureka Irrigation Canal was no longer a viable way to use the Arkansas River water.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Ford County Historical Society. Dodge City and Ford County, Kansas 1870-1920: Pioneer Histories and Stories.Dodge City, KS, 1996.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.