Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Speed
Agra | Glade | Gretna | Kirwin | Logan | Long Island | Phillipsburg | Prairie View | Speed | Stuttgart | Woodruff
The Big Bend post office was established on November 4, 1878 one mile west of the current town of Speed. The town of Big Bend was platted on October 8, 1887. It was located there after the railroad came through and was given its name because of the bend in the railroad tracks. The town was later incorporated on the 2nd of January in 1928 as Speed.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Phillipsburg-Phillips County centennial, 1872-1972. Edited by Cecil B. Kingery. 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.