Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Spivey
/ Gage | Belmont | Cleveland | Cunningham | Kingman | Murdock | Nashville | Norwich | Penalosa | Rago | Spivey | Waterloo |
Willowdale | Zenda
Platted by the Arkansas Valley Town and Land Company, the town site of Spivey was named in honor of Captain R. M. Spivey who was president of the town company. It became incorporated in 1887 after the post office changed its name from Leland to Spivey on December 6, 1886. The Santa Fe Railroad built tracks through the town and ran its first passenger train through Spivey on Christmas Day 1886. By 1904, there were 800 residents, but today the population is less than 100.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Kingman County History: Kingman County, Kansas and Its People." Kingman, KS: Kingman County Historical Society, 1984.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar