Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > St. Peter
Bogue | Gettysburg | Hill City | Millbrook | Morland | Nicodemus | Penokee | Roscoe | St. Peter
Settlers who founded this town were Volga-Germans who had settled in Herzog in 1876. The area around Herzog was becoming more populated as the years went on, and land was becoming scarce. In 1894, a group consisting of nine families from Herzog found land in Graham County and on that land, a town called Hoganville was started.
Hoganville was named after the owner of the land purchased by the families. A community center and a frame church, St. Anthony's Church, were built. By 1898, it was abandoned and moved to St. Peter, which was founded on land donated by Mr. Peter Rome, a member of one of the original families. The church and other buildings, as well as the cemetery, were moved between the years of 1896 and 1898.
A new frame church was dedicated in the fall of 1910. It was 120 feet long and its tower was 120 feet high. It lasted until 1948 when it was dismantled because the Kansas winds caused it to start shifting. A new church building was dedicated on April 19, 1950 following construction that began in the spring of 1949.
Windholz, Frank J. and Al Riedel. "Die Sanct Peter Lait und Ihre Dorf: The St. Peter (Kansas) People and Their Town". 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.