Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Tasco
Angelus | Hoxie | Kenneth | Seguin | Selden | Sheridan | Studley | Tasco
Founded in 1888 by the railroad as a station for the rail line, Tasco was located 8 miles east of Hoxie. The Union Pacific Railroad had built the tracks, and the new town that was built around the station was named Guy. It was located at the junction of the Sand Creek and the South Fork of the Solomon River. It was named for the son of Charles E. Perkins who purchased a piece of government land in the area where Guy was founded.
Guy was the trading center for the new homesteaders that filed their claims on government lands. Their nationality was not really known, but they were thought to be of north European descent. Most of the people of Tasco were probably English, but it not known for sure.
During the 1920's, Guy or Tasco was a lively town, but as the years went on, people moved on to bigger communities. On June 15, 1923, the post office was renamed from Guy to Tasco, and it existed until December 31, 1953. Tasco was never incorporated.
Toothaker, Mrs. Pearl. History of Sheridan County. 1961.
Hinger, Charlotte, ed. Sheridan County Kansas: A History of Faith and Labor. Hoxie, KS: Sheridan County Historical Society, 1985.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.