Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Trego
Banner | Bosna | Buckeye | Collyer | Coyote | Cyrus | Gibson | Mendota | Ogallah | Park's Fort | Schreader | Smytheville | Stockrange | Trego | Trego Center | Trego Station | Tregola | Valley | Voda | WaKeeney | Willcox
Trego was more a stopping point for the railroad than a settlement since it only had a tank, well, and windmill. A post office was established in November of 1874 but it was moved to WaKeeney in February of 1878. After the WaKeeney post office closed in April of 1879, Trego’s post office reopened, only to be closed again four years later. Reopening in March of 1900, it closed a final time in December of that year.
According to Ruth Shearer, Trego was west of WaKeeney one mile.The ethnicity of its settlers remains unknown.
Shearer, Ruth. “Ghost Towns in Trego County.” Chap. in Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. 2d ed. n.p. 1974.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.