Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Vincent
Antonino | Catharine | Czech Colony | Ellis | Emmeram | Hartsook/Herzog | Hays | Munjor | Pfeifer | Schoenchen | Turkville | Victoria | Vincent | Walker | Yocemento
Volga GermansFort HaysOther Colonies
The town site for Vincent was planned and platted in 1910 after St. Boniface Church was established in 1907. Parishioners of St. Fidelis Church in Victoria wanted a parish closer to their farm homes southeast of town, so they built a church about 7 miles southeast of Victoria.
The town never materialized, although a school was built and a grocery store was moved there from Pfeifer. The town site was named after the first parish priest, Fr. Vincent Brandt, who moved from there in 1909.
Fr. Callistus Ractenwald served at St. Boniface for over 52 years. During that time, he handcrafted items for a display of Bethlehem which is still assembled each year by nearby families at Christmastime.
“At Home in Ellis County, Kansas 1867-1992.” Hays, KS: Ellis County Historical Society, 1991.
Photo taken by Mitch Weber, University photographer
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.