Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Walker
Antonino | Catharine | Czech Colony | Ellis | Emmeram | Hartsook/Herzog | Hays | Munjor | Pfeifer | Schoenchen | Turkville | Victoria | Vincent | Walker | Yocemento
Volga GermansFort HaysOther Colonies
A small colony of settlers from Ohio established the town of Walker in 1872. The Volga-Germans from Russia and the Germans from Kentucky and Ohio, known as the "Plattdeutschen", came to the area in 1876-1878. Walker was a thriving community but the 1930's depression closed its primary businesses.
St. Ann's Church was built in 1904-1905 under the supervision of Fr. Emmeram Kausler and dedicated on Thanksgiving 1905.
The first school building was built in 1893, and a second building was built in 1924-1925. The building is no longer used for parochial school events, but is still in use as a community center.
Walker was also the home to Walker Army Air Field which was located 2.5 miles northwest of the town. The air field was built in 1942 as a satellite field for the Smoky Hill Army Army Field in Salina. By the middle of 1943, it was used for training crews to fly the B-29 bombers. On January 31, 1946, it was placed on inactive status.
“At Home in Ellis County, Kansas 1867-1992.” Hays, KS: Ellis County Historical Society, 1991.
Photo taken by Mitch Weber, University photographer
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.