Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Wellsford
Belvidere | Crescent Community | Greensburg | Haviland | Mullinville | Wellsford
Founded by C. P. Wellsford after he moved the Dowell, Kansas post office to the new site in 1884. Named after Mr. Wellsford, the town became a frequent stop on the route of the Cannonball Express stagecoach.
At one time, Wellsford was a thriving community with livery stables, general stores, a drug store, elevators, and a bank. It also had both the Rock Island and Santa Fe Railroad running along parallel tracks. There were as many as seven different newspapers that set up shop at different times in town, and there were also seven livery stables during its prime.
As the railroad moved west and other towns were built along the rail line, Wellsford began to decline. Greensburg became the trade center. By the 1910, the population was only 100, and in 1955, the post office was closed.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"A History of Kiowa County 1880-1980: A Chronicle of Kiowa County written by Kith, Kin and Kind Friends". Lubbock,TX: Taylor Publishing Co., 1979.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. "Ghost Towns of Kansas." Vol. 3. Daniel Fitzgerald, 1982.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar