Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Wilson
Cain City | Ellsworth | Holyrood | Lorraine | Wilson | Essick Piece on Ellsworth County
The railroad station was built in the area in 1868 and was named Wilson. The town founded in 1871 was named Bosland, but people were calling it Wilson after the railroad station. Soon the town was known as Wilson. A store, a lumber yard and a schoolhouse were soon part of the town and houses were built to accommodate the number of people arriving to live in the area.
The first group of Bohemian settlers who came from Nebraska were among the first settlers in the area.
"A History of Ellsworth County, Kansas". Compiled by Francis L. Wilson. Ellsworth, KS: Ellsworth County Historical Society, 1982.
Blackmar, Frank W., ed. "Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc." Chicago: Standard Publishing Company, 1912.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.