Purchasing a Laptop for your FHSU Experience
If you are preparing to purchase a laptop for use at FHSU here are some questions to consider:
What are you going to do with it?
- Contact your department of study and find out what they recommend, including any applications you will need.
- Will you primarily be using the laptop to connect to the web and type word documents or will you be doing more intense graphics work?
What size laptop screen will you need to successfully do you course work?
- For most work here at FHSU you will need to be able to access your email, get online, and type word documents, prepare presentations and use spreadsheets,however some classes may require more specific applications. What screen size are
you comfortable using without eye strain?
- The 15 inch screen size is the most popular but consider weight as well since you will be carrying the laptop back and forth to your classes.
Is the keyboard comfortable for you to use?
- If at all possible try out the keyboard before purchase, you'll be spending a lot of time on your device and you don't want to be fighting the keyboard as you type.
What about an iPad or Samsung Galaxy Tablet?
- If you are thinking about using a tablet for your only mobile computing device at FHSU you may want to reconsider. If you do decide to go this route make sure to talk with your department and find out if you will need any applications that are
not available for the tablet. For right now, we at the Learning Commons don't recommend a tablet as your only device, however they make great alternatives to carrying your laptop on campus. You may want to also purchase a bluetooth keyboard to use for longer typing jobs.
Here is a link to a nice comparison by PC magazine of the Best Laptops for College Students from August 2013that you might find useful.
photo credit: Ed Yourdon via photopin cc