Concentration In Art - Online
The Department of Art at Fort Hays State University provides avenues for research and development of personal creative expression within the area of the visual arts. Faculty seek to enrich student lives through courses designed to enrich their appreciation of the visual arts and to prepare art majors to be productive members of their profession and society. The department acts as a cultural resource for western Kansas through changing exhibitions in the Moss-Thorns Gallery of Art and through faculty consultations and public presentations. Faculty are dedicated to continuing research and service to students, the university, and the western Kansas community.
The Department of Art offers the Master of Liberal Studies degree in art history. Individuals applying for admittance into the MLS concentration in Art must meet the following criteria or receive permission from the Art Department in order to qualify for admittance to the MLS concentration in Art:
- Must have a Bachelor's in Art History or Studio Art from an accredited institution.
- Art History applicants must have 12 hours of undergraduate art history.
- Must submit a sample of writing in art history.
- Must submit a professional resume.
The MLS degree program consists of a minimum of 31 hours of graduate work and is structured accordingly. The degree requirements include the following:
10 semester credit hours in core curriculum:
- IDS 801 Introduction to Graduate Liberal Studies
- IDS 802 Ways of Knowing in Comparative Perspective
- IDS 803 Origins and Implications of the Knowledge Society
- IDS 804 Information Literacy
18 semester credit hours in an art concentration available through distance education - select six of the following courses, subject to advisor approval:
- ART 875 Topics in Art (with variable-content titles)
- ART 880 Graduate Readings in Art History
- ART 881 Seminar: Ancient Art History
- ART 882 Seminar: Non-Western Art History
- ART 883 Seminar: Medieval Art
- ART 884 Seminar: Renaissance/Baroque Art History
- ART 886: Seminar: 18th-19th Century Art History
- ART 887 Seminar: 20th Century Art*
3 semester credits in a culminating experience (ART 880 Graduate Readings in Art History)
ART 899 Concepts of Art may also be available on campus.
The notation on the transcript of the person completing this concentration may read as follows:
- Master of Liberal Studies
- Major: Liberal Studies (Humanities)
- Major: Liberal Studies (Arts)
Contact us now to see if this Master of Liberal Studies concentration could be right for you. You can also speak to Leland Powers at (785) 628-4247. Once you have been admitted to the MLS concentration in Art, please follow the MLS Checklist and carefully read the The MLS Student Handbook.
For more information, contact:
Director of the Master of Liberal Studies Program
The Graduate School, Picken Hall 306
Fort Hays State University
Hays, KS 67601