Concentration in Science Education
Teachers of science and mathematics, K-12, looking for an advanced degree should consider pursuing an MLS degree with an emphasis in science education. The core of the program is to enhance content knowledge in the sciences and pedagogical skill. The focus of the program can be a blend of the physical and/or biological sciences, or emphasize a specific science discipline such as biology, physics, earth and space science, or chemistry. Depending on need and interest coursework from education and mathematics can be used as part of the program (e.g. Action Research). Individual programs can be designed to lead to additional certification areas (e.g. addition of physics or biology certification) while working towards the MLS degree. A significant portion of the coursework can be accomplished through involvement with teacher workshops many of which are offered during the summer session. The major project for the degree is typically an action research project that can be tailored to help with National Board Certification.
Students completing their MLS program in this concentration will have the following notation on their transcripts: "Liberal Studies (Science Education)" Potential courses that can be used with the MLS degree in science education are:
- PHYS 808: Special Topics: Research Based Approaches to Teaching Physics
- PHYS 853 Concepts of Modern Physics
- PHYS 670 Workshop: Past topics have included: Roller Coaster Physics,Comprehensive Conceptual Curriculum Physics (C3P); Integrating Mathematics and Science; Operation Primary Physical Science, and Air and Space
- PHYS 603 Projects: Independent planned projects.
- BIOL 825 Biological Scientific Writing
- BIOL 607 Topics in Biology---various courses are offered as special topics during the summer sessions. Past courses include: Ecology of the Desert Southwest, Ecology of the Pacific Northwest, Project IRIS: Integrating Research and Inquiry in Science, Field Study of Prairie Plants, Biology Teaching Workshops
- BIOL 873 Problems in Biology
- BIOL 884 Readings in Biology
- BIOL 892 Research in Biology
- Any Graduate level Biology Course (see current FHSU catalog for listing)
- CHEM 670 Workshop in Chemistry:
- CHEM 672 Readings in Chemistry
Other graduate courses from geology, mathematics, and education can also be used in the program dependent on student need and interest.
Contact Dr. Paul Adams to see if the Master of Liberal Studies concentration in science education could be right for you. Once you have been admitted to this concentration, please follow the MLS Checklist and carefully read The MLS Student Handbook.