Concentration in Web Development
NOTE: beginning June 1, 2012, applications for this concentration will no longer be accepted. Applicants are advised to apply for the new Master of Professional Studies (MPS) concentration in Web Development.
Mission: Creating individuals with the skills, knowledge, and creativity to succeed in the 21st century!
Fort Hays State University (FHSU) is pleased to offer a concentration in the Master of Liberal Studies (MLS) with a in Web Development. The Masters of Liberal Studies is a 31-hour interdisciplinary graduate program that is offered on campus and online. It consists of a 10-hour core, an 18-hour customized plan of study and a 3-hour culminating project. One of the available areas of study is Web Development. This area is offered through the Department of Information Networking and Telecommunications (INT). Students may mix Art or Management Information Systems elective classes that are compatible with developing a mastery of Web Development. All required courses are offered through distance learning and do not require campus visits. Applicants must have a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited or otherwise approved school and an overall GPA of 3.0.
The Masters of Liberal Studies core is built around the theme "Ways of Knowing: A Foundation for Understanding and Exploring the Emerging Knowledge Society." This theme is explored in the following online courses:
IDS 801 Introduction to Graduate Liberal Studies (1 hour)(Spring, Summer, Fall)
IDS 802 Ways of Knowing in Comparative Perspective (3 hours)(Spring, Summer, Fall)
IDS 803 Emerging Knowledge Society (3 hours)(Spring, Summer, Fall)
IDS 804 Information Literacy (3 hours)(Spring, Summer, Fall)
Web Development Courses
The Web Development Concentration assumes a fundamental understanding of websites and site creation. Students who do not have this understanding may develop it by taking a non-graduate leveling course in web development:
INT 250 Introduction to Web Development (Fall, Spring, and Summer)
Web Development-Required Courses
- INT 650 Interactive Systems Design (Fall, Spring, & Summer)
- INT 651 Advanced Web Development (Fall)
- INT 652 Intensive Web Development (Spring)
- INT 654 Intro to Web Enabled Databases: Oracle (Fall)
- INT 876 Professional Topics in INT/Capstone in Web Development (Culminating Project)
A student will need a minimum of three additional electives. These may be taken on-line or on campus.
Web Development Electives
- INT 653 Web Scripting Languages (Spring)
- INT 655 Web Enabled Database Administration: Oracle (Spring)
- INT 658 Law of Cyber Space (Fall – campus, Spring – on-line, Summer – on-line)
- INT 678 Seminar in INT/Unix System Administration (Spring)
- INT 671 Linux For Networking (Spring)
- INT 672 Advanced Linux For Networking (Fall)
- INT 678 Seminar in INT/IT Project Management (On-line only, Spring)
- INT 872 Readings in INT (By permission and arrangement)
- CIS 673 Problems in CIS/Electronic Commerce (By arrangement)
Each of these courses listed is offered fully on-line and does not require a physical presence on-campus. Most of the course activities are completed when the student chooses to study and work on academic projects. Each of the courses will have specific deadlines for projects, labs, tests and other activities. Students taking on-line courses will benefit substantially from having high-speed Internet access such as: DSL, Cable, or Ethernet. Additional offerings are available on-campus.
For more information on the Department of Informatics visit the following web site: http://www.fhsu.edu/informatics/. For questions about course offerings, contact the Fort Hays State University Department of Informatics. Once you have been admitted to this concentration, please follow the MLS Checklist and carefully read The MLS Student Handbook.