Eleventh Annual Hays Symphony Orchestra Young Artist Competition
The Fort Hays State University Department of Music and Theatre and the Hays Symphony Orchestra proudly announce the eleventh annual Hays Symphony Orchestra Young Artist Competition.
Download the Application Form
The 2014-15 competition is open to pianists only. The 2015-16 competition will be open to all instrumentalists and vocalists except piano.
Preliminary Round: FHSU Campus, Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center
Saturday, November 15, 2014
Final Round: FHSU Campus, Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center
Saturday, February 7, 2015, 7:30 p.m.
Up to three finalists will be selected for the final round, a public performance with the Hays Symphony Orchestra at its February 7, 2015 concert. Prizes will be announced immediately following the concert.
First Prize: The Hays Symphony Young Artists' Prize
Past First Prize Winners:
2014: Emma Bobbs Hoeft, cello, Kansas City, MO
2013: Daniel Chai-Te, piano, Lawrence, KS
2012: Evgenny Zvonnikov, violin, Wichita, KS
2011: Stanton Nelson, piano, Lawrence, KS
2010: Connie Mak, piano, Lawrence, KS
2009: Christopher Nichols, clarinet, Lawrence, KS
2008: Emma Casey, flute, Lawrence, KS
2007: Sun Young Jo, piano, South Korea
2006: Alex Toepfer, saxophone, Hays, KS
2005: Andrew Wright, piano, Wichita, KS
2004: Alisha Eickhoff, voice, Hays, KS
- All pianists age 29 and under at the time of the final round of the competition are eligible to compete. Previous finalists are not allowed to compete.
Concerto movements are acceptable, though complete works are preferred. Repertoire presented at the preliminary round will be repertoire performed at the final round, should the contestant advance; there will be NO exceptions to this rule. The list of suggested repertoire is available under Repertoire List. Repertoire not found on the list must be submitted to Dr. Kristin Pisano for approval.
- Memorization is required for both rounds. Preliminary round applicants should bring three copies of the score (full orchestra score preferred), with any cuts marked, to their preliminary round audition. Preliminary round times will be 20 minutes in length; cuts may be necessary for the prelims if your piece lasts longer than 20 minutes.
- Tapes/recordings will not be accepted.
- Application forms are due to (NOT postmarked by) FHSU no later than
Saturday, October 11, 2014. This deadline will be strictly enforced. Applications can be emailed, or can be photocopied and sent via postal mail. Applications should be sent to:
Dr. Kristin Pisano, Associate Professor of Music
Fort Hays State University
Department of Music and Theatre
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601
- All applicants must include a $20 registration fee (checks payable to FHSU Department of Music and Theatre) with their application, and must be RECEIVED by Saturday, October 11, 2014.
Contact Dr. Kristin Pisano at email@example.com or 785-628-4294.