The Kansas Board of Regents and the Fort Hays State University community invite nominations and applications for the position of President. The successful candidate will succeed Dr. Edward H. Hammond, who has served since 1987, and recently announced his retirement.
Founded in 1902, the University’s student population is 13,441, including 4,767 on a 4,160-acre campus in Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays State University’s unique China partnership program’s enrollment is 3,294 students, while the Virtual College headcount is 5,380. Over 800 faculty and staff support and guide baccalaureate, master’s, and Education Specialist degree programs in the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business and Entrepreneurship, Education and Technology, Health and Life Sciences, and in the Graduate School. Fort Hays State University is committed to providing exceptional learning opportunities to Kansas, the region, and the world.
Fort Hays State University seeks an entrepreneurial, politically astute, and innovative President who has knowledge of national higher education issues. This individual must bring a strong vision for the University’s future, along with a strategic, thoughtful understanding of how to advance Fort Hays State University in conjunction with the Kansas Board of Regents’ plan, Foresight 2020, and the University’s own mission, goals, and strategic plan. The University community expects a staunch advocate, a stable presence, and an inspirational, congenial leader.
The successful candidate should possess the following characteristics:
- significant senior level administrative and/or academic experience;
- demonstrated skills in innovation, entrepreneurship, and creative problem solving;
- deep knowledge of fiscal management, resource generation, and fundraising;
- understanding of international and online education, along with traditional, campus-based learning;
- commitment to a student-centered focus, student needs, and intercollegiate athletics;
- experience in institutionalizing diversity and a culture of inclusiveness;
- understanding and support of the public universities’ access and affordability mission;
- ability to work with the State Board of Regents and interact effectively with diverse constituencies, including the state legislature, businesses, foundations, rural leaders, and residents from all parts of the state;
- appreciation for and ability to engage with an active alumni association; and
- excellent interpersonal skills, written and spoken, with an ability to practice an open communication style.
The candidate must be able to make complex decisions; recognize the importance of shared governance; manage diverse relationships; build consensus; and practice unquestionable integrity. She or he is expected to build partnerships and collaborate worldwide for the well-being of the University, higher education sector, and the state of Kansas.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
Fort Hays State University offers the next President a life-changing opportunity to be a part of this “Forward thinking. World ready.” University environment and to build upon what already is exceptional to make it even better. Applicants with a terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education, along with a substantial leadership background, will be preferred. Candidates who have worked outside of academe and have significant leadership experience also will be considered. Salary considerations will be competitive.
To assure best consideration, applications should be received by February 13, 2014. The application should include a letter of interest specifically addressing the applicant’s background in relationship to qualifications described (not more than three pages); a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of at least five professional references with each person’s position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
All applications will remain confidential. Following campus visits by finalists, the Kansas Board of Regents will conduct interviews and make the final selection. The new President will assume office on or about July 1, 2014.
The search is being assisted by James H. McCormick, Senior Consultant, AGB Search. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to email@example.com. Additional University information may be found at www.fhsu.edu. The consultant may be contacted at 651-238-5188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
"Notice of Non-Discrimination, Notice of Accessibility and Equal Employment Opportunity" policy. http://www.fhsu.edu/policies/human-resources/