Student Affairs

You have javascript turned off or are not running the latest version of Adobe Flash Player. To best view this site, please Get Adobe Flash player

Residential Life Office
Community Life

On-campus involvement greatly increases your potential for success. With that in mind, Residential Life provides numerous opportunities for students to get involved! Check out the program listings below to see how you can get involved and achieve personal success at Fort Hays State University.

Community Council

Community Council provides numerous opportunities to become involved and active in the residence halls. CC is also an appropriate body to contact with ideas for improving the quality of life in the hall. Meetings are open to all whether you represent your floor, hold an elected office or are an interested resident. In addition, Community Council sponsors many programs throughout the year.

Are you interested in getting involved with Hall Council? Contact a staff member! Hall Council plans to have many activities as well as informative events. With your help, Hall Council can create an exciting and entertaining community.

Residence Hall Association

RHA acts as the official voice for students living on campus. RHA serves as a link between on-campus residents and the administration to provide input about the dining services and overall functioning of the residence halls. RHA also provides programming for all the halls and is in charge of the campus movie channel (channel 21). Keep your eyes open for postings during move in for information on upcoming activities and meetings. For more information, visit the RHA page.

Judicial Board

The Residential Life Judicial Board (JBoard) exists to promote a positive group living environment by providing a means to assure compliance with the established policies of the Department of Residential Life and FHSU in all of our communities. The JBoard operates within the boundaries of the communities which provide its power and is committed to provide fair treatment of each person who appears before the board.

Living on Campus

Involvement Enriches Life!
One characteristic shared by successful students is involvement in the life of the University. The Residence Halls and the broader campus community offer many opportunities.

Visitation arrangements vary from hall to hall and within some halls. These options are described in each hall handbook. Cohabitation is not allowed in Fort Hays State University residence halls.

Overnight Guests:
Overnight guests are welcome on an occasional basis. - All guests are to be registered at the hall front desk in accordance with hall regulations.

Early Arrival:
A student participating in university-sponsored activities which may require early arrival (athletics, band, debate, journalism and similar programs) may check into a residence hall early for no extra charge, under these conditions: 1) check-in is no earlier than one day prior to the beginning of the activity; 2) the student previously has submitted a contract for the coming term of study; 3) the student contacts the director of the residence hall for which he or she is contracted at least two weeks prior to the early check-in date and arranges a check-in time; and 4) the student is willing to accept an assignment on a space-available basis for temporary accommodations, if necessary. A student may also request permission to check into a residence hall early for personal reasons. Such a request may be granted at the discretion of the hall director in accordance with the conditions given above. A student checking in early for personal reasons will be charged for the additional days of occupancy.

Most students can be accommodated comfortably in a residence hall. If you have specific questions about FHSU's facilities, arrange a personal conference with a Residential Life staff member prior to submitting a residence hall contract. Persons with special needs or requirements should provide advance notice to the hall director.
Room Assignments:
The University reserves the right to make assignments and reassignments of accommodations. Single rooms are assigned on a space available basis. If a student requests a single room and one is not available, a double room will be assigned, and corresponding fees charged. Individuals wishing to be roommates must request each other on the Residential Life Housing Application Form. The University reserves the right to require single occupants of a double rooms to move together. Refusal to move or accept an assigned roommate constitutes the intent to occupy, and applicable fees will begin immediately. Residents may request a room change; however, the hall director must approve all changes, and the resident must make payment of any requisite fees in advance. Moves must completed in accordance with the procedures and deadlines established by the director of Residential Life.

Manufacturing, possessing, selling, transmitting, using or being part to any activities involving an illegal drug, controlled substance or drug paraphernalia is a violation of University policy as well as a violation of the law. Suspected violations of this policy are reported to the University Police and are subject to the University Student Disciplinary procedures.

All residence halls are smoke free. Smoking is permitted outside the building. Use of incense and/or open flames in the residence halls are prohibited. Candle warmers are permitted and encouraged.

Weapons and Explosives:
Weapons, ammunition and explosives may not be kept on Fort Hays State University property. Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms and bows, airsoft guns; explosives include, but are not limited to, ammunition, fireworks and gunpowder.

No pets of any kind are allowed for reasons of health and safety, with the exception of fish in aquariums of acceptable size.

Fire Equipment/Alarms:
Each residential room has a smoke alarm. Each building is equipped with a complete smoke and fire alarm system. These devices exist for the safety of all residents and any tampering with or misuse of these items is considered a serious offense against the members of the residential community. Offenders are subject to criminal prosecution.
All of our residence halls are completely alcohol free. Possession and consumption of cereal malt beverages and alcoholic spirits is prohibited in the residence halls.

A student's right to privacy will be respected consistent with the University's primary compelling obligation to ensure the maintenance of an environment supportive of academic achievement and positive personal growth. The University reserves the right for authorized personnel to enter a room for any purpose connected with the maintenance, housekeeping and management of the facilities or for any other purpose reasonably connected with the interest of the University or the welfare of the student. The University reserves the right for authorized staff to enter the room of a resident and to conduct a limited, reasonable search of the premises in situations where, in the judgment of the University, the occupants of the room appear to be exhibiting behavior indicative of an obvious and/or flagrant violation of hall and/or University policy. Access to student rooms will not be granted to friends, relatives or other students by the university staff without the express permission of the resident of the room.

Notice of Non-discrimination:
Fort Hays State University does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, national origin, age, disability, Vietnam era veteran status or special disabled veteran status in its programs and activities. The Director of Affirmative Action, Coordinator of Title IX, Title VI, Section 504 and ADA Regulations, may be contacted a 600 Park Street, Hays, KS 67601-4099, (785) 628-4033.

Return to Residential Life Overview