Fort Hays State University has established programs within its academic departments to help students adjust to college life in their first year and ultimately succeed at the collegiate level.
- Eleven departments at FHSU offer an orientation class for new majors in the department; three more are currently being developed.
- Nine departments offer informal or formal events specific to new freshmen during the first eight weeks of the fall semester.
- Twelve departments assign advisors to work specifically with new freshmen.
- Eleven departments offer academic tutoring in the department's major areas.
- Two departments have a student-to-student mentoring programs for new students in the department.
- Four departments have faculty-to-student mentoring programs for new students in the department.
- Twenty-six departments provide opportunities for student involvement in department clubs or academic organizations.