Student Fiscal Services
The support of generous benefactors continues to make a difference in the lives of our students. Community scholarships are scholarships that a student may receive from outside donors as a result of the student's participation, activities, or qualities shown within their school and/or community.
Tips for Scholarship Donors
Where to send scholarship checks:
Send all community scholarship checks for students attending FHSU to:
Fort Hays State University
Student Fiscal Services
317 Picken Hall
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601-4099
What to include with a scholarship check:
Please include the Community Scholarship Donor Form with your check.
When to send scholarship checks:
In order for scholarships to be credited to a student's account before charges are due, we recommend that checks be submitted to Student Fiscal Services by the following dates:
July 1 for fall semester
October 1 for spring semester
April 1 for summer term
FHSU cannot defer tuition payments based on scholarship funds that have not been received by Student Fiscal Services.
Important information about scholarships:
- Scholarship donations are accepted in the form of a check or money order. Making them co-payable to the student and FHSU delays the processing of the scholarship.
- Scholarship funds will be applied to the student's account which includes tuition & fees, Residential Life and other outstanding FHSU charges. The remainder will be disbursed to the student to be used for other educationally related expenses such as books, supplies, personal expenses and other costs incurred while attending school.
- Funds are accepted for a maximum of one academic year at a time -- Fall, Spring, Summer.
- If a student does not enroll or is not enrolled full-time at the time of disbursement, the funds will be returned to the donor unless the donor has requested that the funds be released for less than full-time status.
- Any special donor requirements or notifications, such as signed documents, proof of enrollment, proof of grades, etc., must be handled between the donor and the recipient.
Tips for Students
If a scholarship check is sent directly to you, please bring it to our office for processing. We are located in 317 Picken Hall (785-628-5892).
Funds are applied to all outstanding FHSU charges first: tuition, Residential Life and miscellaneous fees. Books are not included as institutional charges. If excess funds are available after payment of institutional charges, the funds are credited to the refund option you selected when finalizing enrollment.
We process all scholarships in accordance with established policies and procedures (see Financial Aid Disbursement).
Questions about Community Scholarships
Contact our Scholarship Office at 800-628-FHSU (Option 8, then Option 2), 785-628-5892 or SFSspecprog@fhsu.edu.