Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education
Candidates who want to be a licensed middle or high school teacher when they graduate pursue a double major:
- One major in Secondary Education
- One in a chosen field of study.
All fields of study are offered on campus (only Business is offered both online and on campus).
The respective field of study department creates the program of study for secondary education majors. While candidates will take a number of education courses in their chosen field of study/major along with content courses, all secondary education majors take a common set of general education and teacher education courses.
Click on drop down menus below to go to the department for each field of study.
Secondary Education (6-12):
Secondary Education (Pre-K - 12):
Secondary Education Program Summary
General Education Coursework: 55 Credit Hours
Secondary Education Core: 19 Credit Hours
Courses from field of study: Variable
Student Teaching: 12 Credit Hours
Total: Total number of credit hours varies based on chosen field of study
^General Education Courses
To earn an undergraduate degree at FHSU, you must complete 55 hours of General Education coursework. For the Secondary Education degree, those must include:
- ENG 101 English Composition 1 (3 Credit Hours)
- ENG 102 English Composition 2 (3 Credit Hours)
- MIS 101 Intro to Computer Info Systems (3 Credit Hours)
- COMM 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (3 Credit Hours)
- IDS 350 Diversity in the United States (3 Credit Hours)
- MATH 110 College Algebra (3 Credit Hours)
- MATH 250 Elements of Statistics (3 Credit Hours)
^Candidates who already hold a bachelor's degree and are working to complete an initial licensure program, do not need to meet general education requirements (effective for students who submit an application for admission to Teacher Education on or after March 26, 2015).
Secondary Education Core & Student Teaching Courses
- TEEL 202 Foundations of Education (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 231 Human Growth and Development (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 302 Educating Exceptional Students (3 Credit Hours)
- TECS 301 Introduction to Instructional Technology (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 431 Educational Psychology (3 Credit Hours)
- TESS 494 The Secondary School Experience (4 Credit Hours)
- TESS 496 Student Teaching Secondary (12 Credit Hours)
Total Secondary Education Courses: 31 Credit Hours
- All program courses must be completed with a C or better.
- Here are the application forms in addition to the requirements for admission to Teacher Education and the requirements for admission to Student Teaching.