How to Avoid Closed Courses
By Erica Fisher, Student Engagement and Advising Center, Fort Hays State University
One of the great things about FHSU is early pre-enrollment for virtual students. Pre-enrollment for virtual students typically occurs a full week before on-campus students. However, many virtual students don't take advantage of this perk, and miss out on early pre-enrollment. Nothing is more frustrating for a student then trying to pre-enroll and finding that all their needed courses are closed. This situation can be avoided by following the steps below:
1. Know when you can pre-enroll. The Registrar's Office provides an Academic Calendar for each semester that lists the opening date for pre-enrollment. This calendar also includes information on enrollment deadlines, financial aid release, withdrawal deadlines, and more! Start your semester off right by plugging these dates into your personal calendar. You can also check your date by logging into TigerEnroll and selecting the semester you wish to pre-enroll in.
2. Schedule a pre-enrollment appointment with your advisor. It is important to discuss course options for the upcoming semester with your advisor. This helps to ensure that you are taking courses in the proper order while adhering to pre-requisites. It is also an excellent time to discuss academic progress and academic/career goals. This meeting should be held at least a couple weeks before pre-enrollment begins. You will find your academic advisor's contact information in TigerTracks. Once you've logged in, click on the "Online Services tab," and then on "Advisor Information" under the "Academic & Career Advising" heading.
3. Pre-enroll on your designated day in TigerEnroll. Do not put this off. Once pre-enrollment begins, courses fill up extremely fast! It's important to pre-enroll on your designated day in order to avoid missing out on the courses you need. Make sure you complete all the necessary steps in TigerEnroll. Are you a first time user of TigerEnroll? If so, FHSU offers step-by-step instructions as well as video demos.
4. Finalize and pay for your enrollment. Be sure to complete this step. The deadline for finalizing your enrollment is typically a couple of weeks before the semester begins. You can find the deadline on the Academic Calendar. Instructions for finalizing your enrollment in TigerEnroll can be found on the AACE website.
5. Order your textbooks. To order books, go to the FHSU Bookstore website at fhsu.bkstr.com OR select "Order Textbooks" from inside TigerEnroll on the "Pre-enrollment/Schedule Changes" tab. You are able to purchase new or used books (subject to availability), and, in most cases, will be able to sell books back at the end of the semester by following specific instructions outlined on the FHSU Bookstore site. The bookstore also offers a rental option. Please remember to order your books early so you will have them before classes begin!
Sometimes life happens, and the pre-enrollment date slips by before a student can pre-enroll. If you find yourself in this situation, there is another option: the TigerEnroll Wait List. If a seat in a course opens up, the next student in line on the Wait List will be offered that spot. To add yourself to the Wait List, please view our video demo or speak with your academic advisor.
Remember, the easiest way to avoid closed classes is to pre-enroll on your designated day. You can view your pre-enrollment day in TigerEnroll or on the Academic Calendar. When in doubt, contact your academic advisor!