Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies
Women contribute to culture and society as both participates and
creators. Fort Hays State University offers coursework from diverse
academic fields that allows for a theoretically and historically based
understanding of the aspirations, accomplishments, and rights of women
throughout history. The Women's and Gender Studies Certificate program
takes you on a journey of exploration from the Enlightenment era through
third-wave feminism. Along the way, take your own excursions into
literature, history, sociology, leadership, communication, nursing,
justice studies and/or psychology. All courses are intentionally
designed for males and females, alike. You are invited to take these
journeys with us!
Once you have taken all required classes, you
will be issued an official certificate that recognizes your successful
completion of the Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies at Fort Hays
State University. Students must receive a grade of "C" or higher in
each course to count towards the certificate.
The certificate requires 12 credit hours or four courses. Two courses
come from the required list below (SOC 310 and SOC 311). You have
options for the other two - but they must come from different
disciplines (such as COMM and HIST or ENG and PSY or ENG and LDRS,
Required Courses (these two must be completed)
- SOC 310 Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies (3 credit hours)
- SOC 311 Feminist Theory (3 credit hours)
Subtotal (6 credit hours)
Elective Courses* (choose two courses, one from one discipline & one from another)
- COMM 600 Nonverbal Codes (3 credit hours)
- ENG 327 Introduction to Fiction (3 credit hours)
- ENG 692 Theme Studies: Ethnic Literature (3 credit hours)
- ENG 395 Comparative Studies in Lit: Global Women’s Issues (3 credit hours)
- HIST 651 Women in American History (3 credit hours)
- JUS 380 Special Topics: Women and Crime (3 credit hours)
- JUS 605 Workplace Violence (3 credit hours)
- LDRS 420 Women and Leadership (3 credit hours)
- PSY 340 Social Psychology (3 credit hours)
- PSY 359 Evolutionary Psychology (3 credit hours)
- SOC 343 Sociology of Gender Roles (3 credit hours)
- SOC 472 Social Inequality (3 credit hours)
* Other FHSU courses may be substituted as electives upon approval of Dr. McGonigal (see below).
Subtotal (6 credit hours)
Total Credit Hours: 12
Download a PDF version of the Women's and Gender Studies Checklist.
If you would like more information about the Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies, please contact Dr. Kate McGonigal (email@example.com) certificate coordinator.
It is the responsibility of the
student to inform the coordinator of the certificate program that he or
she has completed the certificate requirements. Your certificate will
not be awarded until you have completed the requirements and informed
your coordinator of same. To ensure there is enough time to process
your certificate, please inform your coordinator by the 21st day of the
semester in which the certificate is to be awarded.
In order to
verify certificate completion, the student must go into his/her
TigerTracks account, where the unofficial transcript can be found.
Simply highlight and copy the whole unofficial transcript or at least
the portion that lists the courses necessary to meet the certificate
requirements. The student may then paste that copied text that is
his/her unofficial transcript into an e-mail message to the certificate
coordinator. The student's e-mail note to the certificate coordinator
should begin with an expression of the certificate(s) earned, followed
by the unofficial transcript.