Frequently Asked Questions about the Master of Professional Studies (MPS) degree

What can the MPS do for me?
The MPS contains a great deal of similarity to a disciplinary MS credential. Students completing this degree acquire significant advanced professional skills within a specific discipline. Students gain exposure to research methodology within their discipline, acquire statistical skills for making objective judgments upon data sets, and are required to complete a project or internship experience of appropriate size and scope. Students may also acquire important secondary skills in cognate areas to assist with career development and advancement.

How soon can I start the MLS program?
FHSU is on a semester schedule. Classes normally begin in late August, mid-January, and early in June. The program will begin accepting applications in April, 2012. Courses are expected to be offered beginning with the Fall, 2012 semester.

What is the cost?
Fort Hays State University offers some of the most affordable graduate tuition in the country, with several of its online programs recognized as Best Buys. Current tuition information for on-campus and online courses can be found on the Student Fiscal Services website. You can also figure, on average, $200 per class for books. Most graduate students can earn their entire degree for less than $10,000.

Do I need to be admitted before I can take classes?
You should wait for the formal notification that you have been accepted into the MPS program before you register for classes. You may enroll for one semester of courses while your admission file is being completed. If you do not complete the admission process by your 2nd semester, a hold will be placed on your schedule. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact your MPS advisor or the Graduate School.

Can I change my program of study after I start?

Yes, though at a minimum this will require the approval of your advisor and the Graduate Dean. Changing to a different concentration will require you to reapply for admission to the new department (and with a new advisor). Contact the Graduate School for more information if you want to change concentrations.

Is Fort Hays State University accredited?
Yes. FHSU is regionally accredited by the North Central Association for Colleges and Schools (Higher Learning Commission) and is granted the authority to award degrees by the Kansas Board of Regents. Fort Hays State University is also accredited by several specialized agencies.

Can I receive financial aid for my studies?
Yes, FHSU is a Title IV compliant institution. Contact our Financial Assistance Office for more information.

Do I need to maintain a certain GPA?
Yes, you must maintain a 3.0 GPA on your program of study to graduate at a minimum. Departments may establish additional requirements.

Can I transfer credit from ACE or another graduate school?
In many cases if the graduate credit is intrinsic to the course of study you are proposing, credit can be applied to your MPS concentration. All graduate work considered for transfer (a) must be no older than ten years by the time the student finishes the MPS; (b) must be taken at the graduate level; (c) must have a grade of "C" or better (a student's advisor can set a higher standard); (d) must be offered by a regionally accredited institution; and (e) cannot be part of another US post-graduate degree.


Back to top