Faculty and Unclassified Staff Handbook
Chapter 2 -- Academic Affairs

Transfer Credit Policies and Procedures

2 + 2 Agreement

A 2 + 2 agreement is defined as an individual agreement between FHSU and another academic institution (both four and two year institutions – domestic or international) which allows students to complete a two or four year program at either partner by identifying and specifying particular courses for transfer credit.  A 2 + 2 program goes beyond a simple transfer and articulation agreement (which allows any articulated course to be transferred) by specifying particular courses to be transferred which are required for completion on a particular program.

Transfer and Articulation Policy

 a.   Transfer is recognized as a crucial element within a seamless educational system.  The purpose of this policy is to promote seamlessness. A seamless educational system offers the best resources to provide a high quality education for every citizen, and empowers and encourages each citizen to reach maximum potential by engaging in life-long learning. This includes:

  • Aligning high school and college expectations and standards to improve access and success;
  • Providing access to higher education;
  • Providing high quality advising and information at every point of the journey to ensure that students understand the preparation required to succeed at the next level;
  • Building connections and strengthening communications within and between the parts of the system; and
  • Providing a smooth transition from one level of learning to the next level, including graduate and professional education.  

 b.   To facilitate transfer and articulation across the System, the Board shall provide for a Transfer and Articulation Council with oversight responsibility for implementing the Board’s transfer and articulation policy.  The Council’s mission is to create structures and processes that facilitate student transfer and degree completion within Kansas higher education.

  (1) The Transfer and Articulation Council shall:

    (a) Charge the Kansas Core Outcomes Groups with developing specific course articulations;

    (b) Adjudicate disagreement from the Kansas Core Outcomes Groups, and provide final approval on system-wide transfer of specific courses;

    (c) Assure quality and adherence to the agreed-upon learning outcomes of courses articulated across the institutions; and

    (d) Review proposed revisions to Board policies and bring forward issues and trends that affect transfer and articulation.

  (2) In addition, the Transfer and Articulation Council shall:

    (a) Identify courses acceptable for meeting general education core requirements;

    (b) Create an effective, faculty-led structure for discipline level course articulations based on learning outcomes;

    (c) Ensure that appeals processes exist:  1) for individual students at the institutional level; and (2) at the system level to ensure equitable resolution of transfer concerns between institutions;

    (d) Address barriers to inter-institutional cooperation as the arise;

    (e) Use learning outcomes to determine course equivalency; and

    (f) Implement a clear and ongoing transfer structure.

  (3) The Transfer and Articulation Council shall have a general education/core outcomes subcommittee and a quality control subcommittee.

  (4) Kansas Core Outcomes Groups – These groups are comprised of faculty within specific disciplines, who shall carry out the work of course transfer articulation in accordance with the Kansas Transfer and Articulation Procedures. Each Kansas core outcomes group shall:

    (a) Receive its charge from the Transfer and Articulation Council;

    (b) Review specific courses within the discipline to articulate learning outcomes associated with courses and agree upon system-wide transfer of course credit as direct equivalents for transfer; and

    (c) Report to the Transfer and Articulation Council.

One Transfer and Articulation Council member shall be appointed by the Council to serve as a non-voting ex officio member liaison to each discipline-specific core outcomes group.  The Council liaison’s role is to ensure that the mission of the Transfer and Articulation Council is communicated to, and carried out by, each core outcomes group and to ensure excellent communication between the Council and each core outcomes group.

 c.  Board staff shall support the Board’s transfer initiative by:

  (1)  Maintaining an advising portal for dissemination of transfer information;

  (2)  Maintaining a Common Course Matrix for all courses that transfer across the system, and a Course Equivalency Guide for courses that transfer partially (across some, but not necessarily all, institutions); and

  (3)  Collecting and reporting common data on transfer student success and completion as one measure of system effectiveness.

 d.   In accordance with K.S.A. 72-4453, the board of trustees of each Kansas community college and the governing board of each Kansas technical school and technical college shall establish transfer and articulation agreements providing for the transferability of substantially equivalent courses of study and programs in order to facilitate the articulation of students to and among those institutions. (1-18-06; 1-17-07)

  (1)  The state Board of Regents shall be notified of each agreement at the time the agreement is executed.

  (2)  Each agreement shall be effective only after submission to and approval by the Board of Regents. (K.S.A. 72-4453) Preliminary approval shall be given by the Board President and CEO, or designee, upon verification that the agreement is consistent with this policy.  Final approval shall require ratification by the Board. (1-18-06)

  (3)  The Board President and CEO shall report to the Board on transfer and articulation agreements annually.  Such report shall include a description of the agreements preliminarily approved during the last year and a request for ratification by the Board. (1-18-06)

 e.   In accordance with K.S.A. 72-4454, Kansas technical schools, technical colleges, community colleges and public universities shall establish articulation agreements providing for the transferability of substantially equivalent courses of study and programs that are offered at those institutions in order to facilitate articulation of students in technical programs to and among the Kansas technical schools, technical colleges, community colleges and public universities. (1-17-07)

 f.   To promote seamlessness, each public postsecondary educational institution shall develop and publicize its transfer policy.

  (1)  Each public university shall appoint a point person for transfer and articulation issues and shall clearly identify that individual’s contact information on the university web site.

  (2)  An institutional transfer policy shall not conflict with the Board’s transfer policy. (1-17-07)

  (3)  An institutional transfer policy shall include an appeal process. (1-17-07)

  (4)  An institutional transfer policy shall treat transfer students the same way academically as nontransfer students.     (1-17-07)

  (5) An institutional transfer policy shall ensure transfer of substantially equivalent courses from any Kansas public postsecondary institution. (1-17-07)

  (6) An institutional transfer policy shall ensure transfer of general education courses from any HLC accredited Kansas public postsecondary institution subject to conditions in sections j. and k. below. (1-17-07)

  (7) Courses not substantially equivalent to a course offered by the receiving institution may be transferred at the discretion of the receiving institution.

 g.   Each Kansas public postsecondary educational institution shall establish its residency requirements, graduation requirements, and any admission requirements to professional or specific programs.

  (1)  Admission to an institution shall not equate with admission to a professional school or a specific program.

  (2)  Except as provided in section j, students must complete all graduation requirements of the receiving institution.

  (3)  Students with a completed associates degree who transfer into a professional school or specialty program may need more than two academic years of course work to complete the baccalaureate degree, depending on requirements of the program.

 h.    Institutions are strongly encouraged to develop program-to-program articulation agreements. Such agreements may provide additional transfer opportunities over and above the opportunities named in this policy, but may not conflict with this policy.

 i.   General requirements for transfer of credits between and among Kansas public postsecondary educational institutions include the following:

  (1)  Transfer coursework must be transcripted in credit hours.

  (2)  Students transferring to Kansas public universities with a completed AA or AS degree will be given junior standing.

 j.   Transfer of general education to and among Kansas Public Universities, including state universities and Washburn University, shall follow the requirements below.    (1-17-07)

Although the following distribution of courses does not correspond to the general education requirements for the bachelor degree at any Kansas public university, it shall be accepted as having satisfied the general education requirements for the bachelor degree of all Kansas public universities.

A minimum of 45 credit hours of general education with distribution in the following fields will be required. General education hours totaling less than 45 shall be accepted, but transfer students must complete the remainder of this requirement before graduation from the receiving institution, which may require an additional semester(s).

12 hours of Basic Skills courses, including:

  • 6 hours of English Composition
  • 3 hours of Public Speaking or Speech Communication
  • 3 hours of college level Mathematics; college Algebra and/or Statistics will be required of transfer students where the curriculum of the receiving institution requires it

12 hours of Humanities courses from at least three of the following disciplines:

  • Art*
  • Theater*
  • Philosophy
  • Music*
  • History**
  • Literature
  • Modern Languages (1-17-07)

12 hours of Social and Behavioral Science courses from at least three of the following disciplines:

  • Sociology
  • Psychology
  • Political Science
  • Economics
  • Geography
  • Anthropology
  • History**

9 hours of Natural and Physical Science courses from at least two disciplines (lecture with lab).

  *Performance courses are excluded.
  **The receiving institution will determine whether history courses are accepted as humanities or as social sciences.

k.  The Board of Regents approves specific courses to be accepted in transfer for general education credit at any public postsecondary educational institution in Kansas.  These courses may be found on the Board’s website.  

l.  Each course approved and accepted in transfer for general education credit by the Board is identified by a shared course number that supports a student-first philosophy, and is designed to enhance educational planning and effortless course transfer.  A Kansas Regents Shared Number (KRSN) uses a 3-letter prefix and a 4-digit course number to differentiate the KRSN number from individual institution course prefixes and numbers.  Each institution retains its own unique course prefix and course number.

 m.   Although a transfer general education curriculum has not been established for associate degrees, the transfer curriculum is assumed to be a subset of the curriculum in section j. above.

 n.   Public universities may develop program-to-program articulation agreements for the AAS degree.

 o.   Completed technical programs (non-degree) and completed AAS degrees shall transfer according to option (1) or (2) below:

  (1)  As a block to articulated programs at community colleges, technical colleges, and to those universities that have program to program articulation agreements.

  (2)  On a course-by-course basis

    (a)  General education courses may be transferred according to sections f.(6), j. and m. above.

    (b)  Substantially equivalent courses may be transferred on a course-by-course basis according to section f.(5) above.

    (c)  Other courses may be transferred as electives according to section f.(7) above.

 p.  Students who intend to transfer are responsible for becoming acquainted with the program and degree requirements of the institution to which they expect to transfer.  

Kansas Board of Regents:  Policies and Procedures Manual (03‑18‑04, 06-21-12).

Back to top