The Department of Agriculture
The Department of Agriculture at Fort Hays State University provides students with applied, hands-on learning experiences and diverse foundation courses that empower students to succeed in the growing—and vital— field of agriculture. This experience makes students more marketable and well prepared to meet industry challenges, and FHSU Agriculture degree-holders are poised to become leaders in the agriculture industry.
Agriculture at FHSU: Forward thinking. World ready.
We challenge students to take advantage of the hands-on learning experiences, unique academic programs, departmental clubs and organizations, and the close-knit mentorship of our caring, experienced faculty. Whether you’re going back to the family farm or looking to take the lead in the agriculture industry, FHSU will have you well prepared for an exciting, rewarding career in a diverse and growing industry. You will:
- Gain a deeper perspective of agriculture, its significance throughout the world, and how YOU can have an impact
- Be prepared to face technological advances in an ever-changing field
- Develop leadership skills
- Have practical class experiences on the 3,825 acre FHSU University Farm
- Expand critical thinking and communication skills
- Make lifelong friends and mentors
We prepare our graduates to succeed in agriculture’s wide variety of careers. Because even though they may pursue different careers—running a farm, managing a feedyard, trading grain on the futures market, working as a crop consultant, or steering a boardroom meeting—our alumni all have one thing in common: They have the desire and skills to make a positive impact on the industry and in their communities.