Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, is a program that allows accounting
students to help other students and community members file their tax
returns. By participating in the volunteer group, students gain practical experience to add to their resume and often benefit personally from helping peers and others in the community who need assistance. For more
information, contact Dr. Charles Gnizak.
2016 VITA Program Dates:
- February 15, 16, 22, 23, 29 (Assistance will be available by appointment from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in McCartney Hall 116.)
- March 1 (Assistance will be available by appointment from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in McCartney Hall 116.)
- February 27 and March 5 (On these two Saturdays, assistance will be available by appointment from 12:00-2:00 p.m. and by walk-in from 2:00-3:00 p.m. in McCartney Hall 116.)
To schedule an appointment, please call the Department of Economics, Finance, and Accounting at 785-628-5805 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30).
VITA volunteers are qualified to prepare: (Income must be $54,000 or below.)
- Form 1040EZ
- Form 1040A
- Form 1040
- Schedule A (Itemized Deductions)
- Schedule B (Interest and Dividends)
- Schedule EIC (Earned Income Credit)
Items all taxpayers need to bring to the VITA site to have a tax return prepared:
- Must bring photo identification
- Social Security Cards and birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (Form 1095-A) if applicable
- Wage and earning statement(s): Form W-2, W-2G, 1098, 1099-R (from all employers)
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- Tuition statement from school (Form 1098-T) and amount spent on books and supplies
- A copy of last year's Federal and State returns, if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, you and your spouse must be present to sign the required forms.
- Students: Can you be claimed as a dependent on your parents' return?