How to Reach Us

Department of Economics, Finance & Accounting
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
McCartney Hall 201
Phone: 785-628-5805
Contact Us

Economics, Finance & Accounting on Facebook

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance


Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA, is a program that allows accounting students to help other students and community members file their tax returns. By participating in the volunteer group, students gain practical experience to add to their resume and often benefit personally from helping peers and others in the community who need assistance. For more information, contact Dr. Charles Gnizak.

2018 VITA Program Dates:

  • February 12, February 19, February 26, and March 5 (On these four Mondays, assistance will be available by appointment from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in McCartney Hall 116.)
  • February 17, February 24, March 3, and March 10 (On these four Saturdays, assistance will be available by appointment at 12:00 noon and by walk-in from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in McCartney Hall 116.)

To schedule an appointment, please call the Department of Economics, Finance, and Accounting at 785-628-5805 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday from 8:00-4:30).

VITA volunteers are qualified to prepare: (Income must be $54,000 or below.)

  • Form 1040EZ
  • Form 1040A
  • Form 1040
  • Schedule A (Itemized Deductions)
  • Schedule B (Interest and Dividends)
  • Schedule EIC (Earned Income Credit)

Items all taxpayers need to bring to the VITA site to have a tax return prepared:

  • Must bring photo identification
  • Social Security Cards and birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents
  • Health Insurance Marketplace Statement (Form 1095-A) if applicable
  • Wage and earning statement(s): Form W-2, W-2G, 1098, 1099-R (from all employers)
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • Tuition statement from school (Form 1098-T) and amount spent on books and supplies
  • A copy of last year's Federal and State returns, if available
  • Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
  • To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, you and your spouse must be present to sign the required forms.
  • Students: Can you be claimed as a dependent on your parents' return?






Back to top