The first wing of Custer Hall was approved in 1921 and was completed in 1922 at a cost of $90,000. A second wing was added to Custer Hall in 1952 and an elevator addition completed the 57,736 gross square building in 1998. The building is named after Elizabeth Custer, the wife of General George Armstrong Custer.
Presently, the building is utilized as office space and student residence space. The Center of Public Safety (University Police Department) occupies the basement level in the north wing. High school students enrolled in the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science find residence in both wings on fourth floor. Administrative offices for the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science are also in the building. The Kansas Small Business Development Regional Center is housed in the south wing of the building. Graduate assistants in the Art Department have temporarily been assigned studio space in Custer Hall as well.