Lewis Field Stadium
The Lewis Field Project began in 1932 when the college bought the buildings and the grandstand of the Golden Belt Fair Association at a sheriff's sale. The area was soon put to other uses when the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp on the premises in the fall of 1933. The CCC camp was abandoned after eleven months. Meanwhile, university president, President Rarick had developed a plan to obtain the CCC barracks and use them to house male students. In the summer of 1934, the War Department gave him permission to use them. The barracks provided living quarters for 100 men. In December, 1934, the football stadium was moved to Lewis Field.
The present Lewis Field Stadium was built in 1937 with additions in 1997 and 2001. Lewis Field East and West Stadiums comprise 42,705 gross square feet. The first renovation of Lewis Field Stadium occurred in 1977 when locker rooms, restrooms and concession stands were upgraded and much of the stadium was painted. A three-phase renovation of the Lewis Field Stadium facilities began in the 1990's. Artificial turf was installed on the football field. The cinder track was replaced with an all-weather, eight-lane surface and officially named the Alex Francis Track. New surfaces for runways, pits and pads were installed for field events. One thousand new, chair-back seats were installed in front of the new two-story R.D. and Joan Dale Hubbard Press Box at the west stadium. New bench seating was installed throughout the rest of the stadium. Track locker rooms were added to west stadium in 2001.
Lewis Field Stadium is named for university president, William A. Lewis who served the university from 1913-1933 and died of a heart attack on October 10, 1933, while still in office.