How to Reach Us

International Student Services
Sheridan Hall 204

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Future International Students
Frequently Asked Questions

I have submitted the online application. What's next?
1. Pay the $50 application fee
2. Send copy of your ID page in your passport
3. Send certified financial support statement showing evidence of sufficient funds
4. Send official transcripts (with English translation) of all post-secondary school work including proof of High School graduation
5. Send proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB, Michigan, Kaplan) OR complete English as a Second Language (ESL) agreement to attend FHSU's English Language Program
6. A transfer form if you are transferring from another U.S. institution

What is an I-20?
An official government document that certifies you to become eligible to be an F-1 non-immigrant at FHSU. FHSU creates an I-20 when you pay the application fee and submit all the necessary documents FHSU will send you the I-20 so that you can apply for an F-1 visa in your own country. You will need to sign the bottom of the I-20. You can ONLY use the I-20 issued by FHSU to enter the United States if you intend to study with us.

How long does it take to get an I-20?
Once we receive all of your application documents, application fee, and all necessary documents have been verified, the I-20 will be issued in 3-4 days. Regular mail may take 15 days.

Do I need an F-1 or J-1 visa to student at FHSU?
Not necessarily. If you are already in the United States on another visa, you may not need an F-1 visa. Please contact our office to check.

How do I get an F-1 or J-1 visa?
1. apply to FHSU and provide all necessary documents and fees. We will then issue your I-20 and mail it to you.
2. For the visa process, you will first need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee. You will need a receipt from this for your visa interview. You will then need to make an appointment at the US embassy/consulate in your country.

What do I need for the visa interview?
Please refer to the visa information page.

I am studying in the US at another school. How do I transfer to FHSU?
1. Submit FHSU's online application. Indicate that you have an I-20 and put the SEVIS ID number on it
2. Pay the $50 application fee
3. Submit all documents - copy of your ID page in your passport, certified financial support statement showing evidence of sufficient funds, official transcripts (with English translation) of all post-secondary school work including proof of High School graduation
4. Complete the transfer form and mail or fax to us
5. We will then issue you a new I-20

I do not have the minimum funds required for one year. Can I use a sponsor?
Yes. Your sponsor, or the person financially responsible, needs to fill out and sign the financial support form and submit with proof of funds. The proof of funds must be in English and should not be older than six (6) months from the start of school.

Do I have to provide proof of funds for one year even though I will stay in the US less than one year?
Yes. The US Homeland Security requires schools to collect proof of funds for the first year even if the student is not planning to study for a full year. You must take the proof of funds to the US Embassy where you will apply for an F-1 visa.

Where can I apply for an F-1 visa?
The recent US government new law requires all F-1 students and their dependent to apply strictly for an F-1 visa in their own country of citizenship OR the country of permanent residency.

When can I apply for an F-1 visa and when can I enter the US?
The recent US Immigration law authorizes and F-1 visa student and their F-2 dependents to apply for an F-1 visa only 90 days prior to the start date of school and not earlier. Also, the same law permits F-1 students and their dependents to enter the US NOT EARLIER than 30 days prior to the start date of school on the I-20 or DS-2019.

What do I do when I receive my I-20?
You must make an appointment with the US Embassy in your place of residence and take your I-20, proof of financial support, and receipt of SEVIS fee to apply for and F-1 visa. December, January, July, and August are very busy months for the US Embassies worldwide. Please make your appointment in advance. It is important to note that schools in the US cannot guarantee that the US Embassy will issue an F-1 visa for the purpose of study in the US.

SEVIS fee $200 (non-refundable)
The US Embassy recent policy requires all F-1 applicants to pay $200 SEVIS fee. You must ask the US Embassy how to pay this fee to them. Our office is unable to pay this fee on behalf of the students. You will need a SEVIS ID number in order to pay this fee. Once we issue the I-20, your SEVIS ID number will automatically appear in the Admission Tracking Site.

What if my visa gets rejected?
If your visa gets rejected, please contact us as soon as possible and tell us. We will try to help out by providing additional documentation. Also, please see visa denial information page.

What is an I-94 card?
An I-94 is the form that you complete when you arrive in the US. It shows your port of entry, the date of arrival, your name and country. It also has an I-94 number: this is your tracking number with US Immigration. This form is usually stapled into your passport; it is VERY important that you do not lose it as you will need it when you leave the US. We will photocopy it for your file when you arrive in our office.

I want my spouse/child to come with me. Is it possible?
You must provide out office with the following information:

1. Students first and last name
2. First and last name of the dependents
3. Date of birth for the dependents (MM/DD/YYYY)
4. Gender of each dependent
5. Relation to the student (child or spouse). Give information of children under the age of 21 who are planning to obtain a dependent visa (F-2).
6. Country of birth of each dependent
7. Country of citizenship of each dependent

Additional proof of funds for each dependent must also be provided.


Back to top