First Year Experience (FYE)
Programs & Events
FYE coordinates a variety of programs and events throughout the year. These programs and events are designed to help new first year & transfer students and their parents & family members to become engaged and connected to the campus community.
Golden Beginnings Pre-Orientation Program
August 15-17, 2016
As an incoming first-year student to Fort Hays State University, do you have an interest in meeting 59 other new FHSU students before the school year begins? If so, then consider exploring the Golden Beginnings Pre-Orientation Program at Fort Hays State University.
If you are interested in participating in Golden Beginnings, please sign-up HERE.
What is Golden Beginnings?
Golden Beginnings is an opportunity for you to meet new friends, get connected to FHSU staff and resources, learn FHSU traditions, and engage in high-energy activities to catch the FHSU spirit! The Golden Beginnings Pre-Orientation Experience will take place on August 15-17, 2016, immediately prior to the rest of the new student move-in and Tiger Impact Fall Orientation Weekend!
You will have the opportunity to choose from the following two tracks, each capped at a maximum of 30 participants.
- Project Serve: This track will engage students' entrepreneurial spirit and problem solving skills as they work together in teams to find the solution to a community issue in the city of Hays. Through this process, students will gain leadership skills and engage in purposeful reflection. Students will prepare a final presentation on how to address the community issue they have decided upon. The winning team will be given the opportunity to enact their solution.
- Project Lighthouse: This track will engage first-generation students (students who neither parent has completed a post-secondary college credential) in a meaningful dialogue about who they are and their personal values. This track will address overcoming the obstacles and barriers in which first-generation students struggle and connect them to resources that will aid their success.
Why participate in Golden Beginnings?
- Get connected with campus resources early
- Connect with members of your community in meaningful ways
- Move in 2-3 days earlier than other incoming students to avoid "move-in traffic"
- Build lasting relationships with other students that have similar interests/backgrounds
- Network and connect with University administrators, faculty, staff, and upperclassmen
Q: Will my student be charged to participate in the program?
A: No, not at all! This program is FREE of charge and students will benefit this great learning experience!
Q: Will my student have accessibility to food in this program?
A: Absolutely! Students will be able to eat in the cafeteria throughout the program!
Q: Will my student be able to move-in with ease?
A: Of course! Golden Beginnings Pre-Orientation Program students will move in on Monday, August 15 from 10 AM - 1 PM. The Golden Beginnings program will officially kick-off at 1:30 PM.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the following staff:
Brett Bruner, Director of Transition and Student Conduct
John Gettemeyer, Graduate Assistant for Extended Orientation & Transition Initiatives
Adult Learner & Non-Traditional Student Orientation
August 17, 2016, 2 - 3:30 PM
Forsyth Library Room 015
A specialized program for new on-campus adult learner & non-traditional students.
TRANSFERmation Student Orientation
August 18, 2016, 10 AM - Noon
Fort Hays Ballroom, Memorial Union 2nd Floor
Welcome to the Tiger Family! This is the perfect event for you to successfully transition into FHSU. Why should you come? FREE food, FREE t-shirt and opportunities to meet faculty, staff and other transfer students. Attendance is strongly encouraged.