International banner

How to Reach Us

International Student Services
Sheridan Hall 204
Phone: 785-628-4176

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Employment Opportunities for International Students--F-1 and J-1

The International Office is here to help provide you information on staying legal while working. Please come and talk with an International Student Advisor to be sure that you are working legally or if you have questions.

Legal or Authorized employment

  • Working on campus only
  • Work up to 20 hours per week when school is in session
  • Work up to 40 hours during breaks or the summer if you are not taking classes

Illegal or Unauthorized employment

  • Working off campus
  • Working more than 20 hours during the school session
  • Working more than 40 hours during the summer or while you are taking a summer class
  • Working when out of status

On-Campus Employment

  • On the FHSU campus for which you receive a paycheck from FHSU
  • Residential Life
  • Departmental Office
  • Forsyth Library
  • Athletics
  • Work affiliated with an on-site commercial firm on FHSU's premises like Chartwell's

Off-Campus Employment Authorization
Severe Economic Hardship, according to US Immigration regulations, "If other employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient, an eligible F-1 student may request off-campus employment work authorization based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control."

Eligibility - To be eligible to apply for off-campus employment authorization, based upon severe economic hardship, F-1 students have to meet the following conditions:

1. F-1 students must demonstrate severe economic hardship resulting from one of the following unforeseen circumstances:

  • loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student
  • substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate
  • inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs
  • unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support, medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses

2. F-1 students must have been in F-1 status for one full academic year (9 months).

3. Students must be in good academic standing, registered full-time, and the employment must not interfere with their studies.

4. Employment opportunities on campus are either unavailable or insufficient to meet their needs.

Any unauthorized (illegal) employment, even for one day or if you did not know it was illegal, poses a threat to your status. You must always be certain that you have the necessary employment authorization before you begin employment. Starting work without prior authorization, even if you receive authorization later, constitutes illegal employment.


Back to top