International banner

How to Reach Us

International Student Services
Sheridan Hall 204
Phone: 785-628-4176

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

US Tax Information

As an International Student or Scholar in the US, it's very important that you comply with US tax law and understand the tax filing requirements of your visa. Don't forget that if any of the following circumstances apply to you, you must file a US tax return:

  • You worked in the US
  • You received a stipend, grant or allowance in 2017
  • If you did not work or receive income in the US you still MUST file a tax return (Form 8843) to declare no earnings.

If you were working, you would've been subject to Federal and State taxes and therefore must file a tax return each year. If you haven't worked or received funding, you must file a form called an 8843 exemption.

The staff and faculty of Fort Hays State University are not tax experts and are not able to provide tax advice. Fort Hays State University has arranged an online tax preparation software tool called Sprintax to guide you through the tax filling process and avoid IRS penalties and fines. Sprintax will help you file a timely and accurate return, meet the tax obligations of your academic visa, and maximize your tax refund. Sprintax is an easy-to-use, step-by-step tool that helps you prepare your taxes online. Just follow the simple instructions, answer a few questions, and Sprintax will do the rest. Currently enrolled on-campus FHSU international students will receive a code to access a free federal tax return preparation. You will need to purchase a state of Kansas tax return preparation for a small fee.

For any questions, please contact

Back to top