International banner

How to Reach Us

International Student Services
Sheridan Hall 204
Phone: 785-628-4176

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

facebook icon

Health Services Information for International Students

The Student Health Center is committed to providing high quality health care and educational outreach services.

The FHSU Student Health Center is staffed by a part-time physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, certified nurse's aides and support staff. The office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and closed on weekends and holidays during the fall and spring semesters with limited services in the summer months. Appointments can be made by calling (785) 628-4293 or walk-ins are also welcome. The Student Health Center is located in the lower level of the Memorial Union.

Please note that most minor health needs can be taken care of by going to Student Health. Going to the Emergency Room at the Hays Medical Center is very expensive and should only be done in case of a major emergency. When treating a minor illness at the Emergency Room high fees are charged. However, if there is no other option and it is an emergency, Hays Medical Center is the best option.

Please visit the Student Health Center's Web site to get more information on what services are provided.

Mandatory Health Insurance

**IMPORTANT NOTE:  Waiver requirements for 2018-2019 have changes under section B of the waiver form.  PLEASE make sure to verify with the insurance company you want to purchase insurance from that ALL requirements are met.  Letter L is a new requirement stating that the insurance company must be authorized to do business in the State of Kansas and approved by the Kansas Department of Insurance. If not ALL requirements are met, insurance cannot be waived**

All international students must obtain health insurance to protect against heavy financial burdens due to major accidents, illnesses, and long-term hospitalization. International students are automatically charged for group health insurance along with tuition/fees at the time of enrollment. Cost for the fall 2018 is $713 and spring/summer 2019 is $989.

The International Student Services Office has a procedure students must follow if you choose to have insurance from your home country or purchase other private health insurance. We want to make sure that students are aware of the procedure.

1. Health insurance is required for all international students If you do not purchase the Kansas Board of Regents insurance plan, you must provide the following information EACH SEMESTER by the deadlines listed below. This requirement also applies to Saudi Arabian students sponsored by SACM.

1. Completed & signed Student Health Insurance Waiver Form
2. Copy of your policy's Summary of Benefits in English
3. Copy of insurance card or certificate
4. U.S. contact information - phone number & address
5. Student Health Insurance Acceptance/Denial Form

2. The documents listed above must be received in the International Student services Office in Sheridan Hall 208 on or before the following dates:

Monday, August 20, 2018 for the FALL 2018 SEMESTER
Tuesday, January 22, 2019 for the SPRING 2019 SEMESTER
Wednesday, June 3, 2019 for the SUMMER 2019 SEMESTER

3. Make sure your Insurance Company is aware of the coverage requirements. If needed, provide the Insurance Company with the requirements in Section B of the Student Health Insurance Waiver Form.

4. If ALL of the above items are not at the International Student Services Office by the dates indicated, your waiver will be denied and you will be required to purchase the health insurance through FHSU.

If you are unsure your private insurance meets the minimum requirements or have questions regarding health insurance, please check with the International Student Services Office in Sheridan Hall 204.

Student Health Insurance Waiver Form  -  Fall/Spring/Summer 2018-2019
Acceptance/Denial Form  -  Fall/Spring/Summer 2018-2019

TB Screening

A TB screening is required for all first time on-campus students which includes all international students. This will be done during orientation for new students in the fall or spring semesters. If you miss the orientation, you will need to visit the Student Health Center in the lower level of the Memorial Union to have the TB test done on your own.

TB screenings are MANDATORY. This must be completed before the first day of class. Students will not be allowed to attend class if this process is not complete.

Tuberculosis (TB) is a chronic or acute bacterial infection that primarily attacks the lungs, but may also affect the kidneys, bones, lymph nodes, and brain. Symptoms of TB include coughing, chest pain, shortness of breath, loss of appetite, weight loss, fever, chills, and fatigue. Children and people with weakened immune systems are the most susceptible to TB. Half of all untreated TB cases are fatal.

If you test negative for TB, no further testing is required and a form will be given to you to bring to the International Office. If you test positive for TB, a chest x-ray must be done. A nurse from the Student Health will call Hays Medical Center and make an appointment for you. You can take the Access Van to Hays Medical Center for the appointment or if you know someone who drives, they can take you as well. Once the chest x-ray has been done, you will have to go back to the Student Health Center for a follow-up visit and treatment options.

Meningitis Vaccine

If you live in University Housing or Greek Housing, Fort Hays State University requires you to get the meningitis vaccinations or sign a waiver indicating you are knowledgeable of the risks of bacterial meningitis and your decision to not be vaccinated. This requirement must be met prior to being allowed to move into campus housing. All students who have been vaccinated must provide documentation of immunization.

If you don't live in University or Greek Housing, we still strongly recommend you become informed about meningitis and consider vaccination to reduce your risk of this very serious illness. You may provide proof of vaccination from your primary care provider or receive the vaccination at the Student Health Center.

You will not be allowed to move into campus housing until you:

~ Get the vaccination at the Student Health Center, or

~ Provide proof of vaccination from a different healthcare provider, or

~ Complete a Meningitis waiver form.


Back to top