Give Us A Shout

Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Custer Hall 110

Contact Us
Meet our staff


We have provided several resources to help you with your business needs. 

  • Kansas Department of Labor
    • Register as an employer by clicking here to access the following services:
    • Workplace Laws and Requirements:
      • Employers must comply with both federal law and applicable state laws.
      • The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) establishes minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and youth employment standards affecting employees in the private sector and in Federal, State, and local governments.
      • Apart from federal law, Kansas also have minimum wage laws (information is available here). In cases where an employee is subject to both state and federal minimum wage laws, the employee is entitled to the higher minimum wage.
      • All Kansas workplace laws and requirements about wages, minimum wage, overtime, child labor and private employment agencies are available here.
    • Kansas Employment Security Law:
      • The Kansas Employment Security law was enacted to prevent economic insecurity — and the related dangers to the health and welfare of the citizens of the State of Kansas — brought about by involuntary unemployment.
      • All employers doing business in Kansas are subject to the provisions of the employment security law, but not all employers are subject to the taxing provisions of the law. Further, only those employees that work for a liable employer are potentially able to receive unemployment benefits.
      • KDOL provides the Employers Handbook which more fully explains the process and procedures. It is available online at where you can click on each section individually or view the PDF version.
    • Workers Compensation
      • Workers Compensation is a private insurance plan where the benefits are not paid by the State of Kansas, but paid by the employer through an insurance provider, approved pool or a self-insured plan.
      • Self-insurance can only be allowed where there is application to the Division of Workers
        Compensation and approval made by the Director. Normally, a fairly large financial reserve and excess insurance is required.
      • For other workers compensation coverage, the employer should contact an insurance agent to obtain this insurance.
      • Additional information is available is on the KDOL website or by contacting the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation at (785) 296-4000.
    • Workplace Safety:
      • There are laws that regulate how employers must maintain a safe and healthy workplace, enforced by the OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), an agency part of the U.S. Department of Labor.
      • The OSH Act covers most private sector employers and their workers, in addition to some public sector employers, and workers in the 50 states and certain territories and jurisdictions under federal authority.
      • OSHA’s resources for employers are available here.
      • A list of the main workplace safety responsibilities for employers are available here.
      • The Kansas Department of Labor provides a FREE safety and health consultation for employers to find out about potential hazards at their worksites and improve safety and health management practices. You may request it by clicking here
      • Publication of interest include:
  • Licenses and Permits 
    • Contact your local city/county to see if licenses and permits are needed. Search for county clerks here.
    • Please visit the Kansas Business Center to find a list of common businesses or areas that require registration/licensing/permits with specific agencies/commissions. 
    • New businesses should also check with their local city and county clerk to determine if either municipality requires any licenses/permits/zoning requirements.
    • Planning and Zoning: You must determine if the type of business you are planning is permitted in the zoning code at the location you have chosen, including conducting a business out of your own home. For zoning concerns, be sure to allow ample lead-time, which could be several months. Please contact the Planning and Zoning office in your city or county, depending on your business location.
    • Building Inspection: Your business locations may need to be inspected and approved for public safety and adherence to structural, electrical, plumbing, fire, and other codes. Prior to beginning any remodeling or site alterations, contact your local city building inspector at your City Hall.
  • International Trade Assistance 
    • Your Kansas SBDC consultant is able to provide export consulting to enter and/or expand your business internationally.  Additionally, you may want to check the following resources: 
  • Professional Services: Accountant
    • Selecting a Certified Public Accountant (CPA): The Kansas Board of Accountancy's (KSBOA) web site is a free service intended to provide useful information regarding CPAs and the practice of public accountancy in the State of Kansas.
    • Selecting an attorney: Kansas Bar Association’s (KBA) Lawyer Referral Service will match you with an attorney who specializes in the area of expertise in which you need. In addition to meeting your business needs, KBA’s LRS will find an attorney close to your location to provide convenient service.
  • Insurance
    • While not necessarily required if you are self-funding your business, insurance coverage is an important consideration to discuss with a commercial insurance agent.
    • The Kansas Insurance Department provides a database of licensed insurance companies and agents in Kansas is available here.
    • Typical business insurance coverage includes general liability, property and casualty, vehicle, product liability, life/key man insurance, and business interruption.
    • Workers compensation insurance is addressed above.
    • Insurance coverage needs and costs will vary greatly depending on the type and size of business you are operating. If operating from your home or using a personal vehicle, check with your homeowners and auto policies to see what businesses losses would be covered under those policies, if any.
  • Trademarks/Service Marks
    • Trademarks/Service Marks
      • Trademark registration gives the owner exclusive right to use the trademark/service mark.
        Trademarks or service marks can be registered at either the state level or the federal level.
      • On a federal level, you may register your trademark by visiting the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website.
      • In Kansas, trademark registration is optional.
      • When choosing a name for your business, you may also want to search the State of Kansas trademark database to insure the name has not already been trademarked.
    • Patents
      • Information on filin a new patent can be found at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.  This is a very technical process and the use of a reputable patent attorney is advised.  PRior to filing a patent, one should complete a patent search and potentially get a patentability opinion from a patent attorney.  
    • Copyrights
      • Copyrights protect original written materials.  Copyrights must be registered if legal protection is sought.  Click here for additional information  
  • State and Federal Agencies and Programs
  • Educational Resources 
    • Kansas SBDC Business Plan Tool: the most educational way to build a business plan that is used by thousands of people around the world.  Includes 26 training videos. 
    • SBA Learning Center: tutorials and webinars about financing, amanging a business, starting a business and marketing are abailable on this website. 
    • Bplans: offers free business plan samples and templates, business planning resources, how-to articles, financial calculators, and industry reports. 
    • BizBuySell: this site includes information about buying/selling a business, listings nationwide and helps you find buisnesses for sale as well as business brokers in your area.  
    • USA Small Business: resources to learn the steps to start a small business, get financing help from the government, and more. 
    • IRS Small Business Center: contains information on topics of interest to small businesses, individuals and tax professionals. 
    • Founders WorkBench: has a variety of tools to help you get your startup off the ground. From financial calculators to startup checklists, there's a whole host of helpful resources on the site. 
    • Entrepreneurship: is an online educational resource dedicated to entrepreneurship.  
    • My Own Business Institute: the world's leading provider of free online education for entrepreneurs. 
    • Paychex: is a search engine for business loans. You simply enter your business information and the site gibes you a list of lending options. 
Back to top