Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Unified
The Bachelor of Science degree in Early Childhood Unified (ECU) will prepare you for a career in early childhood programs, serving as a teacher, administrator, or coordinator (the "unified" portion of this degree includes Special Education coursework). According to the Kansas Department of Education, teachers with an early childhood unified endorsement can teach regular and special education at the birth to third grade level.
The BS in Early Childhood Unified education will allow you to seek licensure that can be used to enter into education-related occupations serving children and families from birth to age 8 (third grade).
The Early Childhood Unified teacher education program is an online program, with some courses also offered on campus. The program provides both internship and student teaching experiences in diverse environments
Each state has it's own licensure requirements. The programs we offer prepare you for licensure in Kansas. If you live in a different state, you will need to contact your state's Department of Education to determine it's license transfer requirements. Your education degree from FHSU is valid in any state as long as you become licensed to teach in that particular state. For specific information about your state's licensure requirements please visit the Praxis website.
If you live in a country other than the United States, you will need to check with your country to find out about required educational credentials required for teacher licensure. Our programs require clinical experiences that must be completed at an accredited school in your area. In addition, an entrance exam (CORE or ACT) is required for admission to Teacher Education. You must take this exam at an approved testing center. Please visit the Praxis website for information about CORE testing centers; visit the ACT website for their testing center information.
^General Education Coursework: 55 Credit Hours
Professional Studies & Major Courses (Non-restricted): 20 Credit Hours
Major Courses (Restricted to program admits): 22 Credit Hours
Internships and Methods Courses (Restricted to program admits): 17 Credit Hours
Student Teaching (Restricted to program admits): 12 Credit Hours
TOTAL: 126 Credit Hours
^Candidates who already hold a bachelor's degree and are working to complete an initial licensure program, do not need to meet general education requirements (effective for students who submit an application for admission to Teacher Education on or after March 26, 2015).
“Non-restricted” courses below are open to Teacher Education majors who have not yet been admitted to the Teacher Education program (some prerequisites apply). Admission to Teacher Education is a prerequisite for “Restricted” courses. You’re also required to complete General Education courses, and Teacher Education requires you to take specific courses from among the General Education selections. These links will outline the General Education courses you’ll need to take based on your status: Freshman or Transfer with 44 credit hours or less, Transfer with Associate's or 45 credit hours or more.
* = Must complete course before applying to Teacher Education
PROFESSIONAL STUDIES & MAJOR COURSES (Non-restricted)
- TEEL 202 Foundations of Education* (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 231 Human Growth & Development* (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 302 Educating Exceptional Students (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 320 Programs, Procedures, & Issues in Special Education (3 Credit Hours)
- TECS 301 Intro to Instructional Technology* (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 230 Diverse Learners (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 321 The Young Child (2 Credit Hours)
MAJOR COURSES (Restricted)
- TEEC 323 Emergent Literacy (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 362 ECU Mathematics Methods (2 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 368 Child Care Management & Admin (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 330 Behavior Strategies & Support (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 350 Assessment in Special Education (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 370 Technology Applications in Special Ed (2 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 350 Curriculum & Assessment (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 431 Educational Psychology (3 Credit Hours)
INTERNSHIPS & METHODS COURSES (Restricted)
- TESP 360 Principles of Instruction in Special Education & Clinical Immersion (4 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 365 Literacy Methods (4 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 376 Internship III Kindergarten-Grade 3 (1 Credit Hour)
- TEEC 365 Curriculum in Early Childhood (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 341 Internship II Ages 3-5 (1 Credit Hour)
- TEEC 340 Creative Expressions Methods (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 336 Internship I Birth - Age 3 (1 Credit Hour)
STUDENT TEACHING (Restricted)
- TEEC 465 Student Teaching Birth-Age 5 (6 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 466 Student Teaching K-Grade 3 (6 Credit Hours)
- All program courses must be completed with a C or better.
- Candidates may complete up to two internships per semester.
- Here are the application forms in addition to the requirements for admission to Teacher Education and the requirements for admission to Student Teaching.