Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education
The Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education qualifies candidates to seek licensure in elementary education (kindergarten through 6th grade). The program of study helps future teachers discover the links between general education courses, professional education curriculum, pedagogical theory, and clinical experience.
The nationally ranked Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education program is offered on-campus and online and provides both internship and student teaching experiences in diverse environments. Candidates have multiple opportunities to apply their knowledge and skills with measurable outcomes and feedback from university faculty. In addition to our traditional elementary program, we offer a unique Teacher Residency in Elementary Education for students interested in an immersive hands-on educational experience. Read more about the FHSU Teacher Residency.
Each state has it's own licensure requirements. The programs we offer prepare you for licensure in Kansas. If you live in a different state, you will need to contact your state's Department of Education to determine it's license transfer requirements. Your education degree from FHSU is valid in any state as long as you become licensed to teach in that particular state. For specific information about your state's licensure requirements please visit the Praxis website.
If you live in a country other than the United States, you will need to check with your country to find out about required educational credentials required for teacher licensure. Our programs require clinical experiences that must be completed at an accredited school in your area. In addition, an entrance exam (CORE or ACT) is required for admission to Teacher Education. You must take this exam at an approved testing center. Please visit the Praxis website for information about CORE testing centers; visit the ACT website for their testing center information.
^General Education Coursework - 55 Credit Hours
Professional Studies - 9 Credit Hours
Major Courses (Non-restricted) - 19 Credit Hours
Major Courses (Restricted to program admits) - 30 Credit Hours
Student Teaching - 14 Credit Hours
TOTAL HOURS REQUIRED FOR DEGREE - 127 Credit Hours
^Candidates who already hold a bachelor's degree and are working to complete an initial licensure program, do not need to meet general education requirements (effective for students who submit an application for admission to Teacher Education on or after March 26, 2015).
“Non-restricted” courses below are open to Teacher Education majors who have not yet been admitted to the Teacher Education program (some prerequisites apply). Admission to Teacher Education is a prerequisite for “Restricted” courses. This PDF has more details about specific Elementary Education course requirements, including prerequisite needs and information on course schedule. You’re also required to complete General Education courses, and Teacher Education requires you to take specific courses from among the General Education selections. These PDF's outline the General Education courses you’ll need to take based on your status: First Time Freshman, Transfer with 44 credit hours or less, Transfer with Associate's or 45 credit hours or more.
* = Must complete course before applying to Teacher Education
PROFESSIONAL STUDIES (Non-restricted)
- TEEL 202 Foundations of Education* (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 231 Human Growth & Development* (3 Credit Hours)
- TESP 302 Educating Exceptional Students (3 Credit Hours)
MAJOR COURSES (Non-restricted)
- ART 300 Elementary Art Methods (2 Credit Hours)
- HHP 415 Health & PE Methods & Curriculum (3 Credit Hours)
- MUS 366 Elementary School Music (2 Credit Hours)
- TECS 301 Intro to Instructional Technology* (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 230 Diverse Learners (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 260 Children’s Literature* (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 340 Effective Classroom (3 Credit Hours)
MAJOR COURSES (Restricted)
- TECS 390 Instructional Tech for Elem Teachers (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 350 Curriculum & Assessment (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 431 Educational Psychology (3 Credit Hours)
INTERNSHIPS & METHODS COURSES (Restricted)
- TEEL 365 Reading & Language Arts Methods (4 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 378 Internship 2 (1 Credit Hour)
- TEEL 360 Mathematics Methods I (2 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 362 Mathematics Methods II (2 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 377 Internship 1 (1 Credit Hour)
- TEEL 363 Social Studies Methods (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 361 Elementary School Science Methods (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 478 Internship 3 (1 Credit Hour)
- TEEL 481 Correction of Reading Disabilities (3 Credit Hours)
- TEEL 480 Corr. of Reading Disabilities Internship (1 Credit Hour)
STUDENT TEACHING (Restricted)
- TEEL 495 The Elementary School (2 Credit Hours)
- TEEC 496 Student Teaching (12 Credit Hours)
- All program courses must be completed with a C or better
- Candidate may complete up to two internships per semester
- Here are the application forms in addition to the requirements for admission to Teacher Education and the requirements for admission to Student Teaching.