The Buildings of Fort Hays State University
(Picken Hall - 2004)
(Picken Hall - 1904)
Picken Hall was named for William S. Picken, the school's first
administrator. Built in 1904, it originally was called the Administration
building but was renamed in 1911. It was the only building on campus
for several years and rather than being destroyed, it has been
renovated several times. The building has seen many uses over the
years and serves multiple functions including graduate and personnel
offices, the affirmative action office, the Docking Institute of
Public Affairs, the campus post office, and houses the Information
Networking and Telecommunications Labs.
(Martin Allen Hall - 2004)
(Martin Allen Hall - 1906)
Martin Allen Hall was named after an early leader of Hays and
key player in obtaining the military reservation for the site
of the college, Mr. Martin Allen. Completed in 1906, the building
originally was used for a gymnasium for 10 years. It then became
the library. During the period that it housed the women head office,
it became known as the Women's Building, and the Social Building
during WWII. In 1960, it returned to its original name. It is
now home to the Psychology Department.
(Rarick Hall - 2004)
The old Rarick Hall
The original Rarick Hall was built in 1912 and was
known as the Agricultural Building. It served agriculture, household
economics, biological and physical sciences, and geography, as
well as the dining hall and laundry facilities. Later it became
known as the Industrial Building until 1953 when it was renamed
Rarick Hall, in honor of Clarence E. Rarick, the school's third
president. In 1978, it was decided that the building had enough
deterioration that it was razed and construction began on a new
Rarick Hall, completed in 1981. Today, it houses classrooms, offices
for the Colleges of Education and Arts and Sciences, and the Moss-Thorns
Gallery of Art.
Sheridan Hall was completed in 1917 and patterned after a Roman
coliseum. Sheridan Coliseum was named for General Philip Sheridan,
once stationed at Fort Hays. It is built from limestone quarried
from the campus. The multipurpose facility served as a gymnasium,
an auditorium, a convention hall, housed dressing rooms, a swimming
pool, classrooms, and several administrative offices. After substantial
renovation, it was renamed Sheridan Hall in 1991. Many administrative
offices, including the president's office and Beach/Schmidt Performing
Arts Center refer to Sheridan as home.
(Custer Hall - 2004)
Custer Hall served as the first women's on-campus
residence hall and accommodated 88 residents. Named for Elizabeth
Bacon Custer, wife of General George Armstrong Custer, the building
was completed in 1923. Later it became a co-ed dormitory. Currently,
half the building still serves as a residence hall with the other
half containing offices for the alumni association, financial aid
Cody Commons was known even though the building was never dedicated
after its completion in 1923. It was named for William F. "Buffalo
Bill" Cody. It served as the campus' dining hall until it was
incorporated into the Memorial Union in 1958.
McCartney Hall was completed in 1922 and for the first 40 years
housed the Forsyth Library. It also contained the Fort Hays
State College Museum in several rooms on the first floor. Eventually,
the library expanded and moved to a new location, classrooms
were created on the upper floors, and the museum expanded. The
building then became known as McCartney Hall in honor of Ray
McCartney, a faculty member at FHSU for 35 years. In 1999, the
museum moved to its new home and the building was renovated
to house the College of Business and Leadership.
Albertson Hall, the former Science Hall was completed in 1928 with
a new wing addition in 1962. It was renamed in honor of Fred
W. Albertson, a 43 year faculty member. Renovation was recently
completed and it is now the home of the College of Health and
Life Sciences, the departments of Agriculture, Biological Sciences
and Communication Sciences and Disorders, the Stroke Rehabilitation Clinic,
and the Herndon Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic.
(Lewis Field Stadium - 2004)
(Lewis Field Stadium - 1948)
Lewis Field Stadium was moved to its present location
in 1934 and was completed three years later. It was named for William
A. Lewis, the school's second president. In 1993, renovation on
the field began including artificial turf for the football field,
a new press box, an eight-lane track, a sports medicine center and
improvements to the locker rooms.
McGrath Hall was a residential hall until it was destroyed in 2000.
Davis Hall was built in 1952 and was known as the Applied Arts Building
which held the home economics department and the art department.
Later renamed for Ed Davis, a retired industrial arts department
head. It is now the home of the technology studies department as
well as administrative and advising offices.
(The President's Home - 2004)
The old President's Home
The President's house was completed in 1954 with
Morton C. Cunningham being the first president to live in the home.
Previous presidents resided off campus. The house was renovated
in 1987 and again in 2006.
Agnew Hall was completed in 1957, providing more than 80 residence
rooms, a kitchen, dining room, recreation room, three lounges,
and laundry facilities. Residential life staff offices are located
in Agnew It was named for Dean Eritus Elizabeth Agnew, a former
domestic economy instructor.
Memorial Union was financed through student fees, contributions,
and a loan. The Memorial Union was named as a memorial to former
students and alumni who were killed in combat during WWI, WWII,
and the Korean War. It was completed in 1958 and incorporated
Cody Commons. The union housed the Student Health Center, University
Bookstore, Student Government Association, a food service area,
conference and meeting rooms, and a ballroom. Renovation on
the building is scheduled for completion in 2007.
Wiest Hall was originally completed in 1961 and contained living
quarters for 120 men as well as laundry facilities and a guest room.
Ten years later, a seven-story addition was added and the residence
hall can now house about 700 men. The dormitory was named for Charles
E. Wiest, an emeritus philosophy and religion professor.
McMindes Hall was completed in 1963 and named after Maude McMindes,
a former associate professor of education. The building increased
campus housing by half. It is currently a co-ed dorm and
provides a recently renovated cafeteria for the on-campus student
Malloy Hall was completed and named for Henry Edward Malloy, the
first music professor and department head. It is home to the
music and communication studies departments, Palmer Hall which
is a choral rehearsal hall, and Felten-Start Theatre.
Forsyth Library, named for General George A. Forsyth, was originally
housed in what is now known as McCartney Hall. In 1967, it moved
to its current 2-story, 105,398 square foot building, built
on the old football field site. The basement houses various
collections, the Center for Teaching Excellence and Learning
Technology, the Virtual College offices and the Office of Strategic
Cunningham Hall and Gross Memorial Coliseum were built and named
for M. C. Cunningham, the fifth college president, and Paul
B. Gross. The two men were honored with the completion of the
complex in 1973. Replacing the cramped quarters of Sheridan
Coliseum, Gross Memorial Coliseum is more than 245,000 square
feet and can seat 6,800. It is home to Tiger volleyball, wrestling,
basketball, and is used for the university's commencement, community
events, and several concerts. Cunningham Hall is home to the
Athletic Department, Health and Human Performance Department,
Allied Health Department, classrooms, basketball and handball
courts, an Olympic-sized swimming pool, and other fitness facilities.
Stroup Hall is home to the nursing department and was named
for our nursing program's founder, Leora B. Stroup. It contains
a learning laboratory with a simulated hospital setting, seminar
rooms, and a classroom featuring a two-way mirror for observing
Heather Hall was completed in 1982 and named for Jack R. Heather,
director of television, film, and radio. Heather Hall is home to
the Information Networking and Telecommunications department and
the on-campus television and radio production facilities.
Tomanek Hall, named for Gerald W. Tomanek, the university's seventh
president, was completed in 1995, incorporating the best technology
in the classrooms. It is home to the chemistry, physics, and
geosciences departments as well as the computing and telecommunication
center. The lobby is named for former FHSU debater, cheerleader,
state senator and congressman, Keith Sebelius.
Sternberg Museum of Natural History is located in Beach Hall which
was renovated in 1999 and named for Ross and Marianna Beach,
generous contributors to the renovation of the building that
houses Sternberg Museum of Natural History. Various parts of
the building are named for other key contributors. The 100,000
square-foot Sternberg features several large exhibit areas, a
children's discovery room, and a life-sized walk-through diorama.
It attracts many traveling exhibits, some of the better known
being "A T.
rex named Sue" and
"Jurassic Park: The Life and Death of Dinosaurs."