Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Office of the Provost > Faculty and Unclassified Handbook > Ch 3 Salaries Part Time
Office of the Provost
A faculty member may become unable to teach an assigned on-campus or virtual course during the regular academic year. A department chair may address these circumstances by identifying a full-time, core faculty member or part-time adjunct instructor to teach the required course on an overload/replacement basis. Department chairs may also identify professional unclassified staff members to teach overload on-campus or virtual classes.
1. The standard rate of remuneration per credit hour for all nine-month, core faculty teaching in an overload status to replace an assigned course instructor during the Fall/Spring semesters is 20 percent of 1/9 of the reassigned instructor's regular academic year base salary. Department chairs are considered "core faculty" and their salary is calculated according to the above standard rate.
2. The standard rate of remuneration for professional unclassified staff is calculated by converting the 12-month base salary to an 11-month equivalent (divide 12-month base by 11) and then calculating 20% of per credit hour to a maximum of $2,600. If this figure is less than $2,000, then they will be paid based upon the part-time salary scale with the starting salary of $2,000 up to a maximum of $2,600 after completion of 10 years of teaching experience. Full-time professional staff shall teach not more than 6 credit hours of overload during a semester.
3. The rate of remuneration per course for a part-time adjunct instructor hired to replace a full-time, core faculty member to teach either on or off-campus will be as follows:
1. Faculty will be paid $15 per credit hour for each student above 40 in an off-campus class.
2. All off-campus courses with enrollment below 10 will be pro-rated.
3. This payment schedule applies to all new on-campus part-time adjuncts.
Endorsed by Faculty Senate in consultation with President Hammond (4/00).Revision of salary scale approved by President Hammond (05/03/06).
Revision approved by Academic Council (01/06/14) and President's Internal Staff Meeting (01/13/14).
Back to Chapter 3