The Department of English
The Department of English offers courses in writing, language, and literature. The study of English forms a cornerstone of a liberal arts education and will help you:
- Become an adaptable thinker, confident in your ability to determine your own path
- Learn to analyze, express, and understand information at a time when information literacy is an essential skill
- Know how to bring innovation and creativity to the workplace
- Acquire skills that employers are searching for, like critical thinking, creativity and written/verbal communication
Because these skills are transferable to dozens of fields, earning a degree in English not only lets you explore your interests in writing, language, and literature, but will also give you extraordinary career flexibility.
Majors, Minors and Graduate Degrees in English
English at FHSU: Forward Thinking. World Ready.
You love to read.
You know Shakespearean sonnets by heart.
You've written dozens of journals, poems, and stories.
You have a need to share your love of literature with others.
Does this sound like you? If so, you should become an English major, continue your love of English through graduate study (if you already have your undergraduate degree), or add a Minor in English to your current course of study.
Whether you focus your coursework on literature, teaching, or writing, studying English gives you the range of skills you’ll need to thrive in a career…and in life:
- In-depth classes open your mind to new cultures and ideas through the classics of literature and works by contemporary authors
- You’ll develop the ability to think critically, make reasoned decisions, and solve problems
- You’ll heighten your ability to communicate verbally and in writing
- You’ll hone your curiosity, giving you career agility to succeed in an increasingly complex global workplace and diverse society
Find your passion by planning service-learning projects, working on the award-winning student-run journal Lines from the Middle of Nowhere, or tutoring in the Writing Center. Let our outstanding faculty members guide your exploration of literature and yourself during your time at FHSU.
Take your studies in English to a deeper level with one of two MA programs. While some students take courses during the typical school year, an innovative summer MA program also meets the needs of in-service teachers, librarians, and any others who have the desire to earn an MA through face-to-face classes but who don't have the time for a year-round program.