Herndon Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic
"If all my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest."
- Daniel Webster 1822
FHSU proudly serves the local community and the people of western Kansas through the Herndon Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic. The state-of-the-art clinic serves the dual purpose of providing comprehensive services in speech, language, and hearing, as well as professional clinical training for seniors and graduate students majoring in Speech-Language Pathology.
The clinic is the only university-affiliated clinic in western Kansas. Nationally certified and licensed faculty and clinical students use the latest evidence-based research practices to provide you with a high-quality, comprehensive evaluation and treatment program. The clinic’s namesake, Dr. Geneva Herndon, founded the clinic in 1954 and started the Communication Disorders Program.
- Preschoolers with speech and language delays
- Adults with communication disorders due to stroke and/or head injury
- Children and adults with language-based reading problems, such as dyslexia
- Adults and children with hearing loss
- Individuals with significant communication needs, such as autism or cerebral palsy
The Herndon Clinic provides a full range of hearing services to children and adults. Screening, evaluation and treatment of hearing loss takes place in a fully equipped clinic using the latest technology. Aural habilitation/rehabilitation and counseling are offered to those individuals adjusting to hearing loss.
Assessment and Treatment Areas
- Articulation – speech and sound production
- Language and literacy
- Augmentative/alternative communication – use of technology for those who cannot speak
- Dysphagia – difficulty with swallowing following a stroke or brain injury
- Cognition – thinking, organizing and problem-solving
- Hearing – the process and function of perceiving sound
- Accent modification – instruction in using the sound and style of American English
- Professional voice – training and use of the voice for professional careers
Contact Us | FAQ | Northwest Kansas Stroke and Neuro Support Group
If you are interested in learning more about the types of services available through the Herndon Clinic or what you need to do to set up an appointment, please contact us. We look forward to assisting you or your loved one.
Services are provided to individuals without regard to age, race, color, sex, national origin, religion, handicap or veteran status.