On-campus headcount: 4,767
Virtual College headcount: 5,380
China program headcount: 3,294
Total number of Kansans served by FHSU: 6,900 for Fall 2013, compared to 6,745 in Fall 2012, which is an increase of 155 in-state students.
Graduates: 3,252 in the 2013-2014 academic year (summer 2013, fall 2014, spring 2014)
Placement rate: 95 percent (2012-2013 academic year -- most recent final statistics available). Six months following Commencement, every bachelor's graduate except in China is contacted. The percentage represents students who are employed or who have been accepted into programs of advanced study.
Budget (Fiscal Year 2014-15): $138.4 million
- State Appropriations: $34 million
- Student Tuition: $39.7 million
- Restricted Fees: $23.6 million
- Federal Funds: $15.3 million
- Auxiliary Enterprises: $8.7 million
- Parking Fees: $0.5 million
- Debt Service: $0.4 million
- Other Funds, Transfers, & Reserves: $16.2 million
Budget by Program (Fiscal Year 2013-14): $127.5 million
Does not include debt service or capital.
- Education and General: $108.8 million
- Instruction: $44.7 million
- Research: $0.2 million
- Public Service: $2.8 million
- Academic Support: $13.9 million
- Student Service: $8.1 million
- Institutional Support: $7.3 million
- Physical Plant: $8.3 million
- Capital Improvements/Debt Service: $23.5 million
- Other: $29.6 million
- Student Grants and Loans: $19.2 million
- Auxiliary Enterprises, Service Clearing and Local Agencies: $10.4 million
Budgeted Full-Time Equivalent Staff: 851
- Faculty: 381
- Unclassified Professional Staff: 190
- University Support Staff: 280
- $148.95 per credit hour for undergraduate resident students
- $206.45 per credit hour for undergraduate contiguous-state students
- $438.61 per credit hour for undergraduate non-resident students
- $205.83 per credit hour for graduate resident students
- $291.77 per credit hour for graduate contiguous-state students
- $523.48 per credit hour for graduate non-resident students
- $186.50 per credit hour for undergraduate virtual students
- $251.38 per credit hour for graduate virtual students
- $400.00 per credit hour for graduate MBA virtual students
FHSU has the lowest tuition rate of any Regents university and has one of the lowest tuition rates among four-year institutions nationally, according to a comprehensive report issued annually by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
Education in Action
FHSU was among the leaders in most categories of the inaugural U.S. News & World Report rankings for online education and emerged as the number two undergraduate online education program in the nation when the criteria were compared cumulatively.
A study showed FHSU's economic impact on Ellis County at $209,695,045 for fiscal year 2011, the most recent period for which full information was available.
The Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science, located on the FHSU campus is the state's premier early-entry-to-college program for high school juniors and seniors.
FHSU is the sponsoring agency for the Kansas Small Business Development Center, a network of eight regional and nine outreach centers across the state.
FHSU's Docking Institute of Public Affairs facilitates effective decision-making among governmental and non-profit leaders through applied research, training and strategic planning.
As Kansas looks to the future, Fort Hays State University will play a pivotal role by educating workers for careers in a new and expanding economy, which will lead to higher incomes and general prosperity. In addition, as the cultural center for western Kansas, FHSU will continue to enhance the overall quality of life for the communities it serves.