Tiger Tots Nurtury Center
Your Child's Growth
Tiger Tots Nurtury Center provides a combination preschool/childcare facility for children of Fort Hays State University students, faculty and staff. Our main goal is to provide a positive and safe environment which will promote the social, physical, intellectual and emotional growth of each child. Our hope is that by providing a nurturing atmosphere the children will be encouraged to be creative, independent and responsible individuals. The staff strongly believes in the importance of providing a diverse curriculum that is both age and developmentally appropriate. Our values and beliefs about children are based on personal experiences and educational research regarding how young children develop through a combination of play and structured activities.
- To provide a high quality childcare service to FHSU students and staff/faculty that have young children.
- To maintain a childcare facility that adheres to the philosophy that all children deserve to be treated with respect and empathy. Social, emotional and intellectual growth will occur when children see positive behaviors modeled by adults and have an opportunity to explore their world and interact with peers. All children are unique individuals with strengths and weaknesses that make them special.
- To recognize and support the importance of cultural heritage and family that exists in each child's life. We realize that home is the most important factor in a child's development. We are committed to helping children reach their full potential by working cooperatively with parents.
- To create a safe environment where boundaries and guidelines for acceptable behavior are presented in a positive and consistent method.
- To establish a daily routine that emphasizes the significance of play. Play is the "work" of a child and provides opportunity to develop problem solving skills, self concept, and creativity.
- To provide opportunities for college students to gain valuable hands-on experience in working with young children.
At Tiger Tots, the children are introduced to a balanced program of interaction with friends in both teacher-directed and child-directed experiences. The daily schedule includes play time, group time, and centers. During playtime children learn to:
- Share and take turns
- Listen to others
- Work independently and cooperatively
- Develop feelings of success and security
- Express thoughts and ideas
- Explore and expand abilities
Our program is child-centered and based on the belief that children thrive in an environment that is stimulating, safe, consistent, and nurturing. Our goal is to enhance each child's natural curiosity and love for learning. The following activities are a daily part of group and center time. Our emergent literacy curriculum includes: reading quality children's literature, fingerplays and nursery rhymes, practice with pre-reading and writing skills, and language development. Pre-math skills are also a vital part of our curriculum. Center and group time also includes art, music, fine and gross motor skills, games, science, cooking, and physical development. We have had success using weekly themes that provide a focal point for activities and discussions.
The activities are designed to:
- Build self esteem
- Encourage socialization skills
- Increase time on task
- Develop vocabulary
- Develop auditory listening skills
- Improve coordination
- Increase awareness of patterns, categorize and math concepts
- Introduce new concepts and ideas
As stated previously, a portion of each day is designated to child initiated play in areas such as the block area and dramatic play area. Materials for creative expression and experiences are always available to the children. Outside play is given high priority and the children play outside daily (weather permitting). Tiger Tots serves a nutritious morning and afternoon snack and lunch. A relaxing atmosphere for rest-time is provided each afternoon.