Admission to Student Teaching
Submission Deadlines: February 15
for fall semester student teaching and September 15
for spring semester student teaching. Applications received after the deadline must include an explanation regarding the lateness and will be reviewed by the COPTSP Follow-up and Placement Committee. Applications received after the deadline are not guaranteed a placement in the requested semester.
Requirements for admission to student teaching are:
Admission to teacher education.
- Completed application to be admitted to student teaching.
- Attainment of a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or 2.75 based on the last 60 hours of coursework if candidate holds a bachelor’s degree.
- Attainment of a grade point average of 2.75 in coursework completed in content field(s) or meet departmental grade point average requirements.
No grade lower than "C" in professional education courses.
- Approval for student teaching by the department in the student's area(s) of teaching.
Successful completion of all content and professional education courses and required GPAs prior to student teaching. If planning to student teach in the fall semester, these requirements must be met by the summer grade posting date (Tuesday following the final grade entry deadline in July). If planning to student teach in the spring semester, these requirements must be met by the fall grade posting date (Tuesday following the final grade entry deadline in December).
- Successful completion of all sections of the PPST or Core, if required, by
- July 1 if planning to student teach in the fall semester and by the last day of finals in December if planning to student teach in the spring semester.
- Verification of proof of liability insurance effective through the student teaching semester. Candidates must provide verification of current professional liability insurance to the Office of Professional Services through their TK20 Student Teaching Application.
Candidates must meet dispositional requirements of Policy G.1a– Disposition Assessment of Initial and Advanced Candidates.
- Approval for admission to student teaching by the Council on Preparation of Teachers and School Personnel.
Liability Insurance Options