Neuromuscular Wellness Center
The Neuromuscular Wellness Program is ideal for anyone with significant neurological disorders, such as:
- Stroke survivors
- Muscle spasticity
- Multiple sclerosis
This is not a rehabilitation program like in a hospital setting, but rather a fitness program. This is a “next step” for you after completing physical therapy.
Through a customized exercise routine, we give you the tools and support to promote movement, improve cardiovascular health and increase stamina. The Neuromuscular Wellness Program emphasizes a “do it yourself” approach. While the director and trained student staff work with you to put in the effort to reach your goals! The ultimate goal of this program is to keep you, or a loved one, self-sufficient, independent and in your home.
This program is offered at no cost to participants. However, we encourage private donations, as the Center is only partially funded through the Northwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging, the FHSU Department of Health and Human Performance, and private donations.
Contact Dr. Charmane Kandt if you would like to donate.
Whether you are a client or a caregiver, there are many benefits of regular participation in the Neuromuscular Wellness Program:
- Improve your health in a safe environment
- Sustain or improve your mobility by using a variety of exercise machines and activities
- Improve your strength, coordination, balance and gait
- Alleviate problems with fluid retention that often come from a lack of movement, which can lead to fewer medication requirements
- Keep other health problems at bay with regular exercise
- Interact with other people to improve your speech and language challenges, which is particularly helpful in the stroke recovery process.
- Located down the hall from the Herndon Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic, participate in both programs on the same day.
- Get encouragement and support by working one-on-one with trained students under the supervision of an exercise physiologist.
- Share your stories and your daily life with college students, who rave about working with clients.
- Find a new social opportunity to visit and make friends while you get healthy.
- Get inspired as you see how other clients deal with their limited mobility.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Dr. Charmane Kandt at email@example.com or (785) 628-5564.
Read what some of our clients and caregivers have to say about the program and what to expect upon your first visit.
Neuromuscular Wellness Center Hours
Location & Parking
The Neuromuscular Wellness Program is located in Albertson Hall 168. You will find convenient, reserved parking in the small lot on the west side of Albertson Hall.