Department Banner

How to Reach Us

Academic Advising and Career Exploration Center
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: (785) 628-5577 or 1-800-628-FHSU Fax: (785) 628-4657 Email:
Contact Us

AACE on Facebook AACE on YouTube AACE on Pinterest AACE TigerLink

Kansas DegreeStats

Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a list of common questions that our new students ask. If you have a question that you do not see here, please contact your academic advisor. Your academic advisor is your go to person on campus. If you ever need anything and don't know where to turn, your advisor is a great place to start. Making academic and transfer decisions without consulting an advisor is risky business. Advisors have the most current and thorough knowledge regarding your programs (majors/minor) requirements, the college's policies, procedures, and the requirements that apply to you in your specific situation.

What is the difference between pre-enrollment and enrollment?
Pre-enrollment is when a student's classes are secured in TigerEnroll. Enrollment is when the student finalizes pre-enrollment by making payment arrangements in TigerEnroll.

How do I pre-enroll for a class?
The University Catalog states that pre-enrollment for a subsequent semester is conducted after each semester mid-term. Those who pre-enroll complete enrollment through TigerEnroll prior to the deadline for a semester term. Dates for pre-enrollment and finalizing enrollment can be found in TigerEnroll. Directions can be found on the TigerEnroll Web site. Go to and click on CAS Secure Login to login to your TigerTracks Account. Once you are logged in, select the Online Services tab and you will find TigerEnroll. Complete instructions are found on page 11.

What is a normal load for a full-time student?

A student registered for 12 or more hours. However, the average student will take 15 hours.

Can I change my advisor without changing my major?
Yes. You need to visit with the department chair of your major. The chair will help you through the process.

Can I change my major?
Yes. To change an undergraduate major, you should contact the academic department of the major you wish to declare.

Where can I get help with study skills?
Academic Success Programs are offered in the Kelly Center in Picken Hall, Room 111, 785-628-4401.

Can I add or drop a class during the semester?
Yes, degree-seeking students may officially add open courses for a semester/term with advisor approval following dates established and posted to the Academic Calendar. Students may withdraw from full-semester courses through 11:59:59 PM CT on the 35th day of the semester. Students withdrawing during this time period will not receive any notation on their transcript. Students who withdraw after this period and through 11:59:59 PM CT on the 70th day of the semester will receive a notation on the transcript of withdrawal (W). No withdrawals after the 70th day of the semester. Students receiving financial aid have additional responsibility and should contact the Financial Assistance Office in Picken Hall, Room 202, 785-628-4408 prior to withdrawal.

How do I drop a class?
Students can drop a class through TigerEnroll on the Pre-enrollment/Schedule Change tab. Acceptance is based on the time frame for withdrawing from courses. Students receiving financial aid have additional responsibilities and should contact the Financial Assistance Office in Picken Hall, Room 202, 785-628-4408 and Student Fiscal Services in Picken Hall, Room 317, 785-628-5558.

How do I add a class?
Students can add an open class through TigerEnroll on the Pre-enrollment/Schedule Changes tab. Acceptance is based on the time frame for adding courses and class maximum enrollment. The course add becomes official for the student on the date the request is submitted to TigerEnroll. Payment is due at the time the class is approved.

If I am on the four-year guarantee program, but have not met one of the criteria to remain in good standing, what will happen?
Your advisor will be notified by the Registrar's Office and they will make a note on the four-year agreement from concerning your discontinuance of the program. The Registrar will notify active participants and their parents at least once a semester regarding program status.

What do I do if I have an illness or family emergency which keeps me away from classes?
The Office of Student Affairs will send notes to instructors when students are ill at their parental home or hospitalized for several days. Notes are not sent when a student is ill in Hays or when only one or two days of classes are missed. The Office of Student Affairs has a system for getting information about serious illness or personal/family emergencies to instructors. It should be noted that the Office of Student Affairs does not provide "excuses" for being absent from class - only an instructor may excuse an absence. You can notify Student Affairs by calling 785-628-4277.

How do I determine my GPA?
The grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credit hours in which grade points are recorded.

What is the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy and how can I get a copy?
In order for students on federal aid to continually receive loans, grants and/or work study, satisfactory academic progress must be met. A student must generally maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA or a 3.0 cumulative graduate GPA and make pace towards by completing at least 67% of the classes attempted during their undergraduate or graduate work.. In addition, students have a limit on the number of hours they can attempt while receiving aid. This policy also includes funding from the State of Kansas and various scholarships. Students placed on financial aid suspension will not be eligible for aid until university standards are met or the student has an appeal approved. For further explanation, refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy available in the Financial Assistance Office, University Catalog and on the Financial Assistance Office Web site,

Is there any way to improve a grade if I am not satisfied with it?
Yes, (reference the University Catalog) a student may attempt to improve a grade in a FHSU course only by repeating the course. All grades remain on the student's transcript, and the grade for the last enrollment in the course will be used in determining grade points. The grade in the course being repeated will also contain a notation RP (Repeated) on the transcript.

Where do I find my graduation requirements?
Through consultation with your advisor as well as through the University Catalog and TigerTracks Online Services, you may find the graduation requirements for your major(s). The transcript analysts in the Registrar's Office prepare degree summaries for first-semester juniors and seniors and transfer students, who have 60 or more credit hours. These summaries provide an outline of the courses required to meet the specific graduation requirements for individual majors. Once the degree summary has been signed by the advisor and returned to the Office of the Registrar, it will be accessible from TigerTracks Online Services.

What is a degree summary?
A degree summary is an outline of the courses required to meet your graduation requirements. This can be accessed though your TigerTracks account once it has been signed by the student and advisor(s) and returned by the student to their degree analyst in 307 Picken Hall.

Where can I find out about employment while I am a student?
The Career Services office provide students with a variety of potential employment opportunities. Student Employment offers part-time jobs on campus and available jobs can be located through TigerTracks Online Services under JobX. Career Services offers part-time jobs on and off campus as well as summer employment and internships. Their jobs can be located at Career Services can be a valuable resource when it comes to finding a job after graduation.

Back to top