Department Banner

How to Reach Us

Academic Advising and Career Exploration Center
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: (785) 628-5577 or 1-800-628-FHSU Fax: (785) 628-4657 Email:
Contact Us

AACE on Facebook AACE on YouTube AACE on Pinterest AACE TigerLink

Kansas DegreeStats

Non-degree Student Advising

Do you just enjoy taking classes without pursuing a degree from Fort Hays State University?
If so, you can apply as a non-degree student. Non-degree seeking students are typically those
taking a class for personal fulfillment, to satisfy degree requirements at another institution,
to meet licensure requirements, for professional development and those pursuing certificates
from FHSU.

Undergraduate Students
Individuals whose immediate and declared objective is other than the earning of a baccalaureate or associate degree at the university may be admitted as a non-degree seeking student. Individuals interested in attending FHSU as a non-degree-seeking student should mail an application for admission and application fee to the Office of the Registrar. If a non-degree seeking student decides to pursue a degree, they should inform the Office of the Registrar and provide official transcripts from any colleges or universities previously attended.
Non-degree undergraduate students are required to meet academic standards to remain in good standing and enroll in subsequent semesters.

Non-degree seeking undergraduate students must be aware of the following:

  • non-degree seeking students do not qualify for any form of financial assistance,
  • non-degree seeking students will be kept at a freshman classification, and
  • non-degree seeking students will not receive a degree summary (evaluation of transfer hours).

Graduate Students
Students who wish to be admitted to graduate status without designating a degree objective and without securing acceptance as a major in a department that offers graduate degree programs shall be designated as non-degree graduate students on the application for admission. Applicants for non-degree graduate status must provide evidence of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited higher education institution. Non-degree graduate students may study in graduate classes without following degree programs, but there is the possibility that credit for such classes may not be accepted toward a degree at a later date. Students who wish to pursue a master's or Specialist in Education degree will be required to complete a new application for admission.
Non-degree graduate students are required to maintain a 3.00 GPA in graduate courses at all times in order to retain eligibility to receive graduate credit and to remain in good academic standing in the Graduate School. A non-degree graduate student can be dismissed for not maintaining the required 3.00 GPA.

Back to top